No announcement yet.

Has the UFC's growth hurt us as fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the UFC's growth hurt us as fans?

Look how watered down the product has become. It seems before they had these added tv deals besides TUF things were alot more exciting as far as cards being stacked for the fan's benefit. Now it's like unless your an MMA fanatic you get maybe 4 guys who's names you know on a pay per view you order. The roster being so huge and the number of events to me has tainted the product. I follow MMA pretty hard and alot of times half the names on the card I don't even recognize.

These kind of questions never make sense to me. How can say a sport has grown to big? The sport just doesnt stop with Anderson, Jones, GSP, BJ and Rampage. Old stars fade and the new stars come up. Thats the beauty of sports in general.

Im not trying to say your not a real fan but how can a fan say theirs too much of a good thing? And its not oversaturation. If nobody got injured this year people would say its another solid year of MMA. INJURIES are what killed this year.

Look at UFC 151 that got canceled.

It was suppose to look like...

Jones vs Hendo
    BJ Penn vs Rory Macdonald
    Elleneberger vs Jay Herion 2

Thats a good main card. Its not spectacular but its still pretty good. I know Elleneberger vs Heroin 2 was lackluster at UFC on fx but nobody could predict that before the fight. People also forget BJ vs Rory was suppose to be on that card.

I just dont see how this year is any different then any other year. The worse card was UFC 147 Franklin vs Wandy 2, but even that card was suppose to have Aldo vs Koch & Silva vs Sonnen 2. And every year has that one card thats is weak as hell.

Most of the time the weak looking cards have the more exciting fights & finishers anyways. So that makes this whole topic irrelevant as fuuukkk. Look at UFC 95, everybody bashed that card and it was one of the most exciting cards of all times. Koschek was fighting a nobody and ended up getting KTFO. Maia choked Chael out in 1, Marquardt had a sick KO of Gouviea, and Sanchez and Stevenson went off in the main event. ***** Dos Santos was on the prelims taking Stephan Struves head off! And nobody knew who they were but look at em now!

Look at UFC 108. Multiple fights got cancelled, Silva vs Belfort was suppose to headline, Cain Vs Big Nog was suppose to go down at that event, Dos Santos was suppose to fight Gonzaga but that got scrapped. STILL LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! Another sick ass event! Dos Santos took Gilbert Yvels head off, Daley took Hazeletts head off, Miller had an impressive submission over Ludwig, Joe Lauzon & Sam Stout had a fight of the year canidate and so did Thiago Silva when he almost cameback and fell short of almost coming back and knocking Rashad out.

Comment

Instead of looking at the top ten guys now and then lets look at the bottem ten guys now and then. It just seems to me you'd usually have a more stacked card 4-5 years ago and beyond cause there were less events. I agree the sport has evolved and the level of competition is far greater it just feels you got 1-4 maybe 6 really good fighters in every division and 20 more bums in the same division. When I say bums these guys are competitors and I respect them but at the same time if you went 4-4 in Thailand I don't even wanna see you on my UFC undercard. I also feel Pride and now Strikeforce not being their has hurt the UFC. It seems like when Zuffa felt the need to compete more with Pride obviously then Strikeforce we saw better cards top to bottem

Comment

Also I don't really think BJ/Rory creates as much excitement or holds as much weight as it would of before BJ pretty much decided he didn't care. Well supposedly now he's training like a madman but will we ever see anywhere near the old BJ? This almost seems like a tune up match for Rory now.

Comment

I love Featherweight and Bantamweight but Flyweight and female divisions coming in I think hurt because after Rousey vs Cyborg, and Rousey vs Tate 2, then what? After Dodson vsJohnson and Johnson vs Benevidez 2 then what? Their just isn't enough depth and I could agree they take up meaningful slots for guys to rise in the other divisions.

But as far as the cards being weak like I said some of the weakest ones in the past have delievered better then most of the stacked ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
            These kind of questions never make sense to me. How can say a sport has grown to big? The sport just doesnt stop with Anderson, Jones, GSP, BJ and Rampage. Old stars fade and the new stars come up. Thats the beauty of sports in general.

Im not trying to say your not a real fan but how can a fan say theirs too much of a good thing? And its not oversaturation. If nobody got injured this year people would say its another solid year of MMA. INJURIES are what killed this year.

Look at UFC 151 that got canceled.

It was suppose to look like...

Jones vs Hendo
            BJ Penn vs Rory Macdonald
            Elleneberger vs Jay Herion 2

Thats a good main card. Its not spectacular but its still pretty good. I know Elleneberger vs Heroin 2 was lackluster at UFC on fx but nobody could predict that before the fight. People also forget BJ vs Rory was suppose to be on that card.

I just dont see how this year is any different then any other year. The worse card was UFC 147 Franklin vs Wandy 2, but even that card was suppose to have Aldo vs Koch & Silva vs Sonnen 2. And every year has that one card thats is weak as hell.

Most of the time the weak looking cards have the more exciting fights & finishers anyways. So that makes this whole topic irrelevant as fuuukkk. Look at UFC 95, everybody bashed that card and it was one of the most exciting cards of all times. Koschek was fighting a nobody and ended up getting KTFO. Maia choked Chael out in 1, Marquardt had a sick KO of Gouviea, and Sanchez and Stevenson went off in the main event. ***** Dos Santos was on the prelims taking Stephan Struves head off! And nobody knew who they were but look at em now!

Look at UFC 108. Multiple fights got cancelled, Silva vs Belfort was suppose to headline, Cain Vs Big Nog was suppose to go down at that event, Dos Santos was suppose to fight Gonzaga but that got scrapped. STILL LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! Another sick ass event! Dos Santos took Gilbert Yvels head off, Daley took Hazeletts head off, Miller had an impressive submission over Ludwig, Joe Lauzon & Sam Stout had a fight of the year canidate and so did Thiago Silva when he almost cameback and fell short of almost coming back and knocking Rashad out.
            You did make some good points.

Comment

Working...
            X