Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite fighter in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin Joe Frazier

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      A tie between Nicolino Locche and Ricardo Lopez.

Locche's insane head movement and almost clairvoyant reflexes are the best I've ever seen.

Lopez is quite possibly the most complete fighter I've ever seen. I don't tend to copy any fighters when I'm in the ring, but I definitely have modeled much of my style after Finito's.

Currently, Mayweather and Hank Lundy are my two favorite fighters to watch, even though I'm not a fan of either fighter's attitude outside of the ring.

Have to give a shout out to Sugar Ray Leonard: If any fighter in history got me into boxing, it's him. (I'm 31 years old and grew up watching the late career of Leonard live, and seeing tapes of him.) He was far and away my favorite fighter in my youth.

I would have to say it was Leonard who got me into boxing. He was that one guy I would watch even before I was a big boxing fan. The fight that got me hooked on boxing was Wilfred Benitez vs Mo Hope. The reason this 11 year old was indoors on a beautiful May Saturday afternoon is because I was interested in seeing the guy who lost to Leonard try and win another title.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        At this very moment? He's pretty right.

But as far as the more abstract "today," yeah, I think that sentiment is kind of tired.
        this moment is as good as any other moment in history

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          It's really not, man. We're in a sort of flat era. Not saying it's not going to pick back up but all of our best fighters are on their way out the door. Other than Ward and Donaire my top 10 p4p list is past prime.

Just go to ring magazine's website and look at their p4p list. Now look at, say, 1944. To say that they're just as good is intellectually dishonest.

Comment

30 years and a few months ago the best fighters in the world were:

Marvin Hagler
            Ray Leonard
            Larry Holmes
            Salvador Sanchez
            Thomas Hearns
            Alexis Arguello
            Aaron Pryor
            Michael Spinks
            Wilfredo Gomez
            Wilfred Benitez
            Jeff Chandler
            Eusebio Pedroza
            Dwight Braxton

Prospects like Edwin Rosario, Hector Camacho, Mike McCallum, Tony Ayala.

You are deluding yourself if you think today can match up with then....especially when you consider how the media gave boxing high priority, unlike today.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              30 years and a few months ago the best fighters in the world were:

Marvin Hagler
              Ray Leonard
              Larry Holmes
              Salvador Sanchez
              Thomas Hearns
              Alexis Arguello
              Aaron Pryor
              Michael Spinks
              Wilfredo Gomez
              Wilfred Benitez
              Jeff Chandler
              Eusebio Pedroza
              Dwight Braxton

Prospects like Edwin Rosario, Hector Camacho, Mike McCallum, Tony Ayala.

You are deluding yourself if you think today can match up with then....especially when you consider how the media gave boxing high priority, unlike today.
              I consider 12 of the above to be ATGs. How many ATGs are active right now? 3 or 4 at the most, not including guys like Holyfield and Jones Jr. who are intent on fighting until their brains are in a liquid state.

Comment

My all time favorite fighter is Danny "Little Red" Lopez. Very meek and humble outside the ring. A flawed fighter with a killer right cross which was a game changer. Many of his fights ended like Marquez-Pacquiao IV did.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  It's really not, man. We're in a sort of flat era. Not saying it's not going to pick back up but all of our best fighters are on their way out the door. Other than Ward and Donaire my top 10 p4p list is past prime.

Just go to ring magazine's website and look at their p4p list. Now look at, say, 1944. To say that they're just as good is intellectually dishonest.
                  P4P list are always going favor guys past their prime.

The quality of fighters doesn't change that often. Sure there are a few outliers like the early 2000s but even then most of the guys you think of as being ATGs were still young and unproven.

Also if Mares, and Viloria aren't on your P4P list then your list is wrong.

Comment

P4P list are always going favor guys past their prime.

The quality of fighters doesn't change that often. Sure there are a few outliers like the early 2000s but even then most of the guys you think of as being ATGs were still young and unproven.

Also if Mares, and Viloria aren't on your P4P list then your list is wrong.
                    Mares is #6, I don't know enough about Viloria to put him on tbh

I still have to catch the his fight with Tyson. I know. I suck.

But come on, you're really telling me that boxing is in as good a shape talent-wise as it was early 2000's, early 80's, throughout the 40's, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      I consider 12 of the above to be ATGs. How many ATGs are active right now? 3 or 4 at the most, not including guys like Holyfield and Jones Jr. who are intent on fighting until their brains are in a liquid state.
                      Hopkins Donaire Marquez Pacquiao Mayweather Martinez thats 6 right there.

You have the benefit of seeing Pryor, Hearns etc etc career playout. At this point Mares and Ward are well on there way then you have less proven guys like Miguel Vasquez, Roman Gonzalez, Rigondeaux, Gamboa, Hernandez etc all of them have ATG talent and are at similar stages to a lot of guys on that list

Comment

Working...
                      X