Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Sure How Showtime Deal is "Record-Breaking", or "Huge".

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Sure How Showtime Deal is "Record-Breaking", or "Huge".

I've looked at various reports on this supposed "huge", "record-breaking" deal that will give Showtime the rights to broadcast Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fights in the next 30 months, which is advertised as up to six fights, but in all reality will be two or at the most three.

The timing of the deal doesn't make sense. Floyd is in his mid-thirties and showed he was vulnerable against Cotto, and is in the twilight of his great career. Fighting on much longer could put diminish his significance of others' who have tried to continue their careers longer then they should've, like Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield, Muhammad Ali, and Mike Tyson.

So the question is, why now? Do you really think HBO wouldn't sign a deal that would make them money? Moving to Showtime is also a huge risk, his fights may lose buys as it becomes harder to follow his career. Additionally, HBO now cross-promotes with ESPN, just as good if not better as CBS' subsidiaries. Rest assured, Showtime probably got a bad deal.

Why aren't any numbers given in any reports? If it's "historic", and "record-breaking", what are the terms of the deal? Why can't anybody ask either Floyd, Ellerbe, HBO, or Showtime that question?

In any case, I think what's happened is that the welterweight division has seen its stars faded. The new 147 is in other divisions, like 175 and 154. And boxing needs a new star. I think HBO knows this, and rightfully passed on a deal that Showtime probably agreed to.

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
    I've looked at various reports on this supposed "huge", "record-breaking" deal that will give Showtime the rights to broadcast Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fights in the next 30 months, which is advertised as up to six fights, but in all reality will be two or at the most three.

The timing of the deal doesn't make sense. Floyd is in his mid-thirties and showed he was vulnerable against Cotto, and is in the twilight of his great career. Fighting on much longer could put diminish his significance of others' who have tried to continue their careers longer then they should've, like Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield, Muhammad Ali, and Mike Tyson.

So the question is, why now? Do you really think HBO wouldn't sign a deal that would make them money? Moving to Showtime is also a huge risk, his fights may lose buys as it becomes harder to follow his career. Additionally, HBO now cross-promotes with ESPN, just as good if not better as CBS' subsidiaries. Rest assured, Showtime probably got a bad deal.

Why aren't any numbers given in any reports? If it's "historic", and "record-breaking", what are the terms of the deal? Why can't anybody ask either Floyd, Ellerbe, HBO, or Showtime that question?

In any case, I think what's happened is that the welterweight division has seen its stars faded. The new 147 is in other divisions, like 175 and 154. And boxing needs a new star. I think HBO knows this, and rightfully passed on a deal that Showtime probably agreed to.
    All valid questions honestly. Wont we know his flat rate from the nsac after h is fights though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
      All valid questions honestly. Wont we know his flat rate from the nsac after h is fights though.
      Well, look at this report from some NY paper - "It is a multi-million dollar deal".

In most deals like this, you get a number that the athlete will expect to make, or a percentage of revenue-sharing. But the problem is that promoters are not required to tell reporters, and reporters are afraid to ruin their relationship with them because they might lose access. Perhaps HBO would be interested in telling as they're probably disgruntled.

Comment

cant say i disagree

looks like hbo was simply out bid
        who knows

Comment

Oh look, a confused pactard. What else is new?

Comment

it's just hype, showtime gambled a lot on the unpredictable mayweather. who ever said he'd fight six more times? this might be mayweather's last year but showtime is too stupid to realize it

Comment

According to Ellerbe, Floyd is looking to stay more active. This might be his last run in boxing. If Floyd doesn't look good, then we'll know he's not as motivated as he used to be. It'll take six fights to see if that's the case.

Comment

Damn The Hate Is JUST TOO STRONG FOR THA BROTHA MAN

Comment

Pacquiao stans are mad. If Floyd doesn't fight six times who cares? Showtime got the biggest name and biggest money generator in the sport for however many more fights he decides to take.

Comment

Not sure if this is record breaking but I am happy its showtime doing it. They have had better cards than HBO for a while now.

Comment

Working...
                    X