No announcement yet.

Im thinking about changing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im thinking about changing...

...the way I tell people my last name is pronounced. Its German and my family Americanized it because of the racism that was going on against Germans during WWII. I kinda want to go back to saying it the German way, for no real reason, I just want to. Do you think its a stupid, pointless thing to do?

Originally posted by LoftyDog View Post
    ...the way I tell people my last name is pronounced. Its German and my family Americanized it because of the racism that was going on against Germans during WWII. I kinda want to go back to saying it the German way, for no real reason, I just want to. Do you think its a stupid, pointless thing to do?
    no not at all, you should be proud off where you come from......what is your last name by the way?

Comment

As long as it's not Hitler, go ahead!

Comment

I don't think that it's stupid or pointless.Go for it,man!

Comment

Originally posted by leff View Post
          no not at all, you should be proud off where you come from......what is your last name by the way?
          Friedel, like the goalkeeper on the German team...everyone in my family says it fry-dell now.

Comment

That reminds me of Young Frankenstien the movie.
            Frankensteen!

Anyway, definatly go back do it old school.
            My surname is Lissenburg. Not sure whether its dutch or German.
            We pronounce it as its read. Listen-berg.

Comment

why exactly do you want to do it? I mean you say no real reason, but there's got to be a reason you want to say it a different way. Also what would it sound like the german way?

Comment

It's your heritage, embrace it.

Comment

The German way to say it would be Freedl (if that doesn't explain it try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuDYtzY5pM). What got me thinking about it was in a German lit. class I'm taking the professor was handing back papers and he called my name he said it the German way and then asked how I say it. That just got me thinking about it, I figure my family changed b/c of racism, but I'm not gonna deal with any of that today, so why not change back. I guess its a way to get back to my heritage a little more. Hopefully that makes sence.

Comment

The German way to say it would be Freedl (if that doesn't explain it try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuDYtzY5pM). What got me thinking about it was in a German lit. class I'm taking the professor was handing back papers and he called my name he said it the German way and then asked how I say it. That just got me thinking about it, I figure my family changed b/c of racism, but I'm not gonna deal with any of that today, so why not change back. I guess its a way to get back to my heritage a little more. Hopefully that makes sence.
                    "The url contained a malformed video id"
                    anyways, I do understand that. There are still some prejudices against germans as with all races... putting up with "nazi" comments. Really the reason when asked my heritage I say only one part of mine the irish-scot. But my mom's side is German, Dutch, and Polish. But I totally get the being proud of your hertiage. My kids are mexican-american, even though they don't tend to look hispanic, I always put it down as their race. I want them to be proud of their daddy's side.

Comment

Working...
                    X