No announcement yet.

left hook question.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left hook question.....

i have question about foot positioning when throwing a left hook..

can some one explain the correct positioning to me.

when i throw a left hook, i first push off the floor with my right foot,towards my oponents right side..basicly i just come in a few inches to get in range, know my question is...im now in position to throw the left hook, so do i keep both my feet planted right where they are? or should i now push off of my left foot? or maybe just kinda turn my left foot in?

Comment

Also when throwing a left hook, you can push your right hip foward and round, so you have to pull it back when throwing it. Also I find throwing it with weight on the front leg would add power if you could turn on that foot faster, but its easier to put weight on your back leg.

Comment

Now I don't recommend throwing a whole lot of solo hooks, but if you're going to, if you want power, you should be twisting you body left (as if you've thrown a straight or something) and then snap that torque into your hook. Otherwise, you get basically no hip movement. If you wanna know how to throw left hooks, just watch Smokin' Joe.

Peace,
        Trick

Comment

You have to pivot your left foot so you turn with the hook. It should all be in one motion, which where the term "ahead of the punch" comes from.

Comment

Yeah that vid teaches it about the same way I learned to do it, except I throw a lot more body behind my punch.

Comment

yea, thats basicly what im wondering...if i should pivot on my left foot...

i always just moved into position, and just planted my feet...and then through the left hook...just turning my upper body, and keepinf my feet planted...my trainer never said i was doing anything wrong...

but when i was shadow boxing, i noticed that when i pivot the left foot in towards where my punch was going, that it felt better, then just planting my feet and staying flat footed as i throw the hook.

Comment

If you're throwing your hip into it (which you should) your foot should feel like it should pivot naturally.

Comment

yea it does feel more natural to pivot my foot...thats how i discovered this whole thing...keeping my feet planted and just twisting my upper body didnt feel right.....i knew something was up....

ive been doing this for a long time too...(keeping my feet planted) im gonna try it the other way tonight on the heavy bag....i bet my left hook is gonna be alot better now....

so basicly, alls you do is just pivot your left foot in.....you dont push off your left foot too, do you?

that video in the first post, i cant watch...my computer sucks...thats why i have all these questions....its kinda hard to explain exactly what i mean...but i think you guys understand so far..

Comment

Working...
                  X