No announcement yet.

Ike Ibeabuchi-what if?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike Ibeabuchi-what if?

Where would he be if he didn't get crazy and locked up? I understand there were talks of a fight with Lewis just before he was arrested. What do you think, could he beat Lewis? He was incredibly strong physically and in addition he had boxing talent, which is very rare. He was too good to be true. So he had to go, naturally.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    Where would he be if he didn't get crazy and locked up? I understand there were talks of a fight with Lewis just before he was arrested. What do you think, could he beat Lewis? He was incredibly strong physically and in addition he had boxing talent, which is very rare. He was too good to be true. So he had to go, naturally.
    Ibeabuchi would have no problem knocking out Lewis, probably easier than guys like Rahman and McCall. He was something that Lewis was not used to fighting and made a habit of avoiding - a fighter who was in his prime. Regardless of whether or not he was crazy, I don't see Lewis taking that fight.

Ibeabuchi could have been a mega star, I agree with what you have said above.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      Ibeabuchi would have no problem knocking out Lewis, probably easier than guys like Rahman and McCall. He was something that Lewis was not used to fighting and made a habit of avoiding - a fighter who was in his prime. Regardless of whether or not he was crazy, I don't see Lewis taking that fight.

Ibeabuchi could have been a mega star, I agree with what you have said above.
      Yes, if McCall and Rahman could do it, so could Ike. All it took to fell Lewis was one good punch and Ibeabuchi certainly had it. He could also box, so he wouldn't even need that one big punch to win. He could also outwork Lewis first and then ko him.

Comment

He certainly could have done it.

Perhaps more importantly than whether he had the punch to do it (he did) is the issue of whether he had the chin to withstand Lewis' shots if they landed. And Ike's win over Tua shows he likely could have taken Lewis' best shots.

So yes Ike had a good chance of beating Lewis. And maybe even of being a "great."

Comment

So sad that Ike isn't out there beating down dudes today. He definitely had the talent to go real far but unfortunately ended up going crazy. This is one of those instances I don't like to think about cause Ike had so much promise. Not saying he wouldn't have lost a few but I find it hard to see the likes of Lewis or even the Klits being able to withstand what Ike brought to the table. People talk about the lack of excitement in the heavyweight division, but this guy brought it every single time.

Comment

If he had of held it together a little longer he would have beat Lewis. I think maybe the punches caused his problems so he was maybe destined to have a short prime. A high percent of murders have brain damage, even though Ike could take a punch in some ways they may have been damaging him.

Comment

I feel like this guy should have been one of the greats, he seemed to have it all - Talent, Strength, Speed, Power, Workrate, Chin, the works! Id have favoured him over Lewis and he was only gonna get better

Comment

Ibeabuchi is hugely over rated. His biggest wins were over a small Cris Byrd, and a short, 1 dimensional David Tua who he had to go life and death with and was never the same after. There is no proof he would have been able to compete with a tall, hard punching and talented fighter or that his work rate would be the same against such.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  I feel like this guy should have been one of the greats, he seemed to have it all - Talent, Strength, Speed, Power, Workrate, Chin, the works! Id have favoured him over Lewis and he was only gonna get better
                  I agree, he was very patient with Byrd and got to him when nobody else could KO him.

Afterwards Byrd 15 more times without getting KOed and it included bouts with both K bros, Holyfield, Tua, McCline and a few others.

Tua is still around today and is still one of the heaviest punchers in the division.

Too bad that things ended up like they were cause Ike showed a lot of promise

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Ibeabuchi is hugely over rated. His biggest wins were over a small Cris Byrd, and a short, 1 dimensional David Tua who he had to go life and death with and was never the same after. There is no proof he would have been able to compete with a tall, hard punching and talented fighter or that his work rate would be the same against such.
                    Like you, I used to think because he struggled with Tua that Lewis would beat him.

No offence Jab, you are entitled to your opinion but compared to most people you overrate Lewis. Most people don't have Lewis so high on their list heavyweights.
                    Last edited by Holtol; 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X