Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with all these fighters forming friendships and not fighting each other?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with all these fighters forming friendships and not fighting each other?

What's with all of these fighters claiming they are "friends" with other fighters as their reason to not fight them?

For instance we've heard both Danny Garcia and Adrien Broner both mention how they won't ever fight each other because they are "friends". How lame is that? There goes a great fight out the window because of that alone.

And we also have Hopkins and Ward with their "mutual respect" BS and we've heard them mention that they won't ever fight each other because of it.

And we now know about Floyd and Broner's BFF status, with Broner saying "No amount of money" would ever lead him to fight "big brother" Floyd. Which is kinda dumb because Floyd could essentially hand the torch over to Broner in a huge PPV event, win or lose. (Down the line when/if Broner moves up, obviously)

That's only 3 examples as of now but I'm sure there's been more.

-Danny Garcia and Adrien Broner
    -Hopkins and Ward
    -Mikey Garcia and Nonito Donaire (though same trainer)
    -Andre Ward and Dirrell
    -Broner and Floyd (down the line)
    -Broner and Peterson
    Last edited by thuggery; 02-17-2013, 10:30 PM.

Donaire and Mikey Garcia are on record saying that too. Although they do have the same trainer.

Comment

Ward & Dirrell is another.

If you're prepared to spar with someone, is it really that big a difference to fight them?

Comment

And correct me if I am wrong, but weren't Floyd and Zab Judah really good friends when they fought? What happened with that mentality? They fought anyway, and hell they even managed to cause a damn riot in the ring.

Comment

I know right, heck Mosley and Oscar were friends and they fought twice. I swear these new breed of fighters man

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
            Donaire and Mikey Garcia are on record saying that too. Although they do have the same trainer.
            That one is a little different in a way because like you said they have the same trainer, but it's still kinda lame.
            Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Ward & Dirrell is another.

If you're prepared to spar with someone, is it really that big a difference to fight them?
            True, added.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
              And correct me if I am wrong, but weren't Floyd and Zab Judah really good friends when they fought? What happened with that mentality? They fought anyway, and hell they even managed to cause a damn riot in the ring.
              Rumor is they were no longer friends after a heated sparring session.

As for the thread question, Byrd and Jameel McCline were best friends and fought. Byrd also fought TOS Williamson who he was friends with and that fight was actually worse than Alexander vs Bailey. Yea, twas that bad. The referee actually told the both of them that they had to fight. They were trying that hard not to hit one another.

Rahman and Monet Barret were best friends and fought, another stinker where they were afraid to hurt one another.

Comment

"The worst thing you can do to a friend is not fight him,because you're a denying him a payday and a means to feed his family" -Mike Tyson

He said something along those lines. In regards to him knocking out one of his boxer friends

Comment

Isn't Mikey Garcia Mexican? I thought Broner made a bunch of racist tweets towards Mexicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                    Rumor is they were no longer friends after a heated sparring session.

As for the thread question, Byrd and Jameel McCline were best friends and fought. Byrd also fought TOS Williamson who he was friends with and that fight was actually worse than Alexander vs Bailey. Yea, twas that bad. The referee actually told the both of them that they had to fight. They were trying that hard not to hit one another.

Rahman and Monet Barret were best friends and fought, another stinker where they were afraid to hurt one another.
                    Interesting stuff, goodpost

Comment

Working...
                    X