Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a forgotten sport is boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a forgotten sport is boxing?

I was filling out my profile for a scholarship website, asking stuff about myself. So it gives a list of sports and you pick what are your favorite one's. It has no Boxing on the list, yet it has Martial Arts and Wrestling. Then as you can see it has Cheerleading, it also has Golf, RODEO, Ultimate Frisbee, Bowling and every other major sport in the world. I thought "Well, maybe these are just sports that are played in college. You can't box in college". But to my knowledge, there's no golf in college, or rodeo, or bowling, or rowing, or snowboarding. Just about every sport you can think of is on the list, except for Boxing. To add insult to injury, right where Boxing would have belong, it's actually Cheerleading.

Last edited by -Kev-; 08-10-2012, 01:57 AM.

I know it's boxing-related, but the last 3 threads i've made in NSB this year, no trolling, have been deleted. So that's why I posted this here.

Comment

My cousin referred to Muhammed Ali as 'parkinsons guy' when watching the opening ceremony.
      Soon people wont know who Tyson is. And think that Sugar Ray Robinson is a type of marmalade.

Comment

Cause that's a sissy ass university you're going to bro.

Comment

That's pretty disgraceful

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
            For real. That's some weak ass shit.

Comment

Good question right here kev.

IMO for the sport of boxing to be healthy you need the big boys (HW) to step up, get noticed and have some bomb ass fights.

"little" dudes have been doing a good job of keeping boxing alive but they can only do so much..

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
                It's not a University, it's a scholarship website.

Comment

The sad fact is that it's a dead sport here in America. Sure, boxing websites like this one (and it's competitors) are booming with activity, and networks like HBO and Showtime manage to draw good numbers for the majority of their cards, but we're (boxing fans) still a relatively small, tight-knit community when compared to the rest of the sporting world. Globally the sport is doing extremely well, though.

As Champ pointed out , there's some kind of weird fascination with the Heavyweights in this Country dating all the way back to the days of Jim Jeffries. Intrest in the sport literally rises and falls with the Heavyweight division, and more importantly, having a captivating figure (someone the general public can either cheer for or root against) as Heavyweight Champion.

From the way Jeffries was portrayed as a hero, to the way Johnson was portrayed as a villain, to the way Joe Louis broke the racial tension and became a hero to all, to the way Marciano inspired our awe, to the way Ali dazzled us with his personality, and the way everything about Mike Tyson from his menacing presence to his love life and personal affairs captivated us - The general public needs an enthralling presence as Heavyweight Champion to garner intrest, without it Americans just don't really care.

Which is quite sad, considering how many of the "little guys" they don't know about are just as captivating and have life stories that are equally impressive. That's why Mayweather acts the way he does in public, because he's intelligent and he realizes that American sports fans basically suffer from ADD, and that it's incumbent upon the athlete to create a personna that will be capable of holding their intrest.

Comment

The 2012 Men's Boxing Olympic team is just a reflection of what boxing has become in the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                    X