Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just debated an MMA fan when it comes to boxing vs. MMA. Why are some MMA fans so...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just debated an MMA fan when it comes to boxing vs. MMA. Why are some MMA fans so...

naive when it comes to boxing? Not all MMA fans, but there are a lot who are ignorant. This dude was telling me that anyon can learn to box and that he could learn how to box simply by watching a child play Mike Tyson's Punch out. I told him I'm not even naive to where I can walk into an octagon and think I know enough mma to kick ass. I told him to go to the nearest boxing gym, make that comment and then tell them you want to spar and see how that works out. I think he got pissed cause I insulted tapout t-shirt wearing fanboys. Anyone else ever have debates with close minded mma fans who try to **** on boxing? I at least respect mma/ufc and realize that although they're different there's room for both sports

I've come across plenty of ignorant MMA fans, it's the usual "An mma fighter beats a boxer in a street fight" comment that really gets me, they're so oblivious to the fact that while boxing is far off from street fighting, so is MMA!. Street fighting is an entirely different element as a whole.
    Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I've had this argument 1000 times before. I love boxing to death, easily my favorite sport But I train mma/boxing/Muay Thai and brazillian jiu jitsu with American Top Team here in Florida.

I argue all the time with these brain dead dudes who think either sport is a walk in the park. Its soooo totally different its ridiculous. We've had boxers come in and get owned when it came to anything but stand up but at the same time when we spar just boxing,those same guys on occasion easily outclassed some of our fighters.

Its 2 different worlds and I have a tremendous respect for both. I'd rather just stand and box dudes heads off but sometimes in real life thats just not the case and its so aggravating to hear people who have no idea about either of the sports talk ****, they just come off as extremely ignorant.

Comment

Counter and say anybody can slam their fists on somebodies head when they're on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by THE_BIG_HURT View Post
          I've had this argument 1000 times before. I love boxing to death, easily my favorite sport But I train mma/boxing/Muay Thai and brazillian jiu jitsu with American Top Team here in Florida.

I argue all the time with these brain dead dudes who think either sport is a walk in the park. Its soooo totally different its ridiculous. We've had boxers come in and get owned when it came to anything but stand up but at the same time when we spar just boxing,those same guys on occasion easily outclassed some of our fighters.

Its 2 different worlds and I have a tremendous respect for both. I'd rather just stand and box dudes heads off but sometimes in real life thats just not the case and its so aggravating to hear people who have no idea about either of the sports talk ****, they just come off as extremely ignorant.
          Booooooooooooooo! haha B)

Comment

i dont talk to MMA fans about boxing...many dont have open minds when it comes to a sport that they dont understand

most of the time, they 'try' to talk boxing with the same underlying agenda of 'the sport i follow is better'

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
              Booooooooooooooo! haha B)
              hhaha sorry man

Comment

somewhere down the line it began to be cool to diss on boxing. Those guys don't know anything about it. They won't even be MMA fans for long. Just in it for the cool factor. That cool factor is ending for MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  i dont talk to MMA fans about boxing...many dont have open minds when it comes to a sport that they dont understand

most of the time, they 'try' to talk boxing with the same underlying agenda of 'the sport i follow is better'
                  Exactly! It's a waste of time even arguing with them, I actually follow MMA casually and rather talk to them about their own sport then getting into the whole "Boxing/MMA is better" argument.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Exactly! It's a waste of time even arguing with them, I actually follow MMA casually and rather talk to them about their own sport then getting into the whole "Boxing/MMA is better" argument.

me too...i actually know a lil bit about MMA as far as the holds and locks...and i do the same thing...i talk to them about their own sport...and when they find out that im a boxing guy, its usually a surprise to them

and when it leads to that boxing vs MMA talk, i usually just squash it and tell them its not worth arguing about

Comment

Working...
                    X