No announcement yet.

Calzaghe was a rare jewel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    Calzaghe is quite a big guy, bigger than B-Hop is naturally, I don't feel the weight was a problem.
    I think Hopkins made him look sloppy with his feints, movement & defense.

I feel his feints messed Joe up and he couldn't get off as he'd of liked to of and was throwing in desperation for most part.
    The feints did but so was the hugging. Joe ended up smoothering himself and Hopkin's obliged by holding. That would always play into Bernard's favour, but also I feel Joe lacked something that night. Be it speed, or something too. He was certainly desperate I agree.

Comment

calazaghe was a great fighter

best smw ever possibly
      does he beat ward? i think he can but it would be tough ward is the best right now even more dominate than joe was

the hopkins fight was just a horrible match up stylistically , but joe would win 9/10 times
      done give me the age bs joe wasnt no sping chicken
      plus b hop dominated a prime pavlik his very next fight

i rate joe with a group of special fighters who dont do any one thing great but just seem to have a deep deep desire to win and are incredibly hard to beat

calzaghe
      bradley
      ward
      floyd

not the best fighters but theyre the hardest to beat

Comment

calazaghe was a great fighter

best smw ever possibly
        does he beat ward? i think he can but it would be tough ward is the best right now even more dominate than joe was

the hopkins fight was just a horrible match up stylistically , but joe would win 9/10 times
        done give me the age bs joe wasnt no sping chicken
        plus b hop dominated a prime pavlik his very next fight

i rate joe with a group of special fighters who dont do any one thing great but just seem to have a deep deep desire to win and are incredibly hard to beat

calzaghe
        bradley
        ward
        floyd

not the best fighters but theyre the hardest to beat

Comment

Joe Calzaghe is an ATG and the most underrated fighter of the past 25 years.

Comment

Also to the people who said a younger Hopkin's would handle Joe. Probably, but let's not forget that Hopkin's game plan VS Joe was a perfect one. Reduce the output of both and use pin point counters or leads and hold. IMO a younger Hopkin's would have left more for Joe to hit.

Comment

@negro, @Speed

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
              [floyd] he beat who they put in front of him/[stans]

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
              Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post

this is not a floyd thread, you mentally ill stalker nuthuggin troll.

you really think the facade you put up deters from the fact that you are in love with floyd mayweather jr? cause i can assure, it does not!

...weirdo

- its not floyds semen, but it'll hold you over until the next time you can sneak into his bedroom and suck the jizz outta him.

Damn Speed, your going in on Negro hard.

... I have to say I agree with you though. Floyd didn't fight "whoever they put infront of him", he selectively cherry picked his opponents.

...Is Negro one of these flomo things I am hearing about.

Comment

Lets hope there isn't another calzaghe, his punches/slaps make me laugh ha
                Prime RJJ would take him out early.
                I just don't see anybody beating ward tho

Comment

Wards resume is already on par with Calzaghes at 168

Kessler
                  Abraham
                  Froch
                  Dawson

compared to Calzaghe

Eubank
                  Reid
                  Lacy
                  Kessler

Wards resume will by far eclipse Calz's resume when it's all said and done. Next Feb he is gonna smash Pavlik so you might as well add him to his resume now, its just a question of formalities.

Comment

Insecure internet kids get so caught up in worshipping only the very best ever and are so quick to call a top guy trash just because one or two guys could possibly beat him in a different era. I find most of his fights (save for the ugly Hopkins one) to be fun as hell to watch. They have a cinema-like quality to them in that he had this unbreakable will to win and just flooded his opponents with workrate. I don't care what any hater says, they're not diminishing my enjoyment of those fights one bit.

Comment

he was good. but he didnt test himself against the best so........

Comment

Working...
                      X