Marvin Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    no no even close
    Do you know who Johnson was? IMO the answer is no, but not even close?

Comment

Isn't Victor Galindez in the hall?

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        I agree!! The Hall does seem to honor fighters that were very popular on occasion but not always the ones that made a career of giving us the great bouts.
        I like that idea. They could call it the highlight reel section or the showstopper wing of the Hall of Fame. Or the guys with heart area, for guys without the resumes but who always brought it, like a Kevin Kelley, Gatti, Tapia, maybe a James Toney, also add to that tough guys, non hall of famers that didn't duck anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          T....

I feel like the Hall should have some kind of separate wing devoted to guys like Marvin, Gatti, Little Red, etc.....a place to honor guys who were so damn compelling and gave great moments to the sport, but weren't actually great fighters.
          No disrespect intended, but I think that's a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            No disrespect intended, but I think that's a terrible idea.
            "Terrible"?

To have a separate wing devoted to the exciting but limited guys is a terrible idea? It would not in any way detract from the superior and worthy fighters who are enshrined for their abilities and acheivements.

Your pseudo-purism and snobbishness is what's terrible. I know actual boxers and long-time trainers with a much more grounded view of the game than you have, your highness. Disrespect fully intended.

Comment

"Terrible"?

To have a separate wing devoted to the exciting but limited guys is a terrible idea? It would not in any way detract from the superior and worthy fighters who are enshrined for their abilities and acheivements.

Your pseudo-purism and snobbishness is what's terrible. I know actual boxers and long-time trainers with a much more grounded view of the game than you have, your highness. Disrespect fully intended.
              Tell me what defines "exciting" then. I'm assuming that your definition is a priori superior to my definition, or anyone else's definition, because you are the great jabsRstiff, but some people don't find guys like Marvin Johnson, Gatti, or Danny Lopez the least bit exciting.

I'll tell you what: I'll give you your "Non-ATG Reckless Brawlers" wing of the HOF, if you give me a wing for "Non-ATG Scientific Boxers" wing. Deal?

Comment

Tell me what defines "exciting" then. I'm assuming that your definition is a priori superior to my definition, or anyone else's definition, because you are the great jabsRstiff, but some people don't find guys like Marvin Johnson, Gatti, or Danny Lopez the least bit exciting.

I'll tell you what: I'll give you your "Non-ATG Reckless Brawlers" wing of the HOF, if you give me a wing for "Non-ATG Scientific Boxers" wing. Deal?
                The majority of fight fans DO find guys like Johnson, Gatti, and Lopez exciting. The majority of casual fans would stumble upon a fight of theirs and stay tuned....something they wouldn't do if more of a pure boxer was fighting. Non-boxing fans were calling me and emailing me in the days and weeks after Corrales and Castillo first fought to tell me how incredible it was. No one ever called me after any of Winky Wright's routine 12 round decisions over everyone he fought.

The difference between you and I is that I appreciate ALL boxers and all styles. You have disdain for the guys who came to take the other guy out.....and act as if they way they fight should be discounted (your incredibly stupid, and probably faked in order to win an argument, claims that you wish knkockouts and hard punches were not part of the game).

I would gladly have there be a wing for the technically brilliant practitioners of the game who weren't elite. I am not a limited boxing fan like yourself.

Comment

The majority of fight fans DO find guys like Johnson, Gatti, and Lopez exciting. The majority of casual fans would stumble upon a fight of theirs and stay tuned....something they wouldn't do if more of a pure boxer was fighting. Non-boxing fans were calling me and emailing me in the days and weeks after Corrales and Castillo first fought to tell me how incredible it was. No one ever called me after any of Winky Wright's routine 12 round decisions over everyone he fought.

The difference between you and I is that I appreciate ALL boxers and all styles. You have disdain for the guys who came to take the other guy out.....and act as if they way they fight should be discounted (your incredibly stupid, and probably faked in order to win an argument, claims that you wish knkockouts and hard punches were not part of the game).

I would gladly have there be a wing for the technically brilliant practitioners of the game who weren't elite. I am not a limited boxing fan like yourself.
                  Please post a link to where I said the bolded.

And I don't believe that knockouts shouldn't be a part of boxing. I just don't enjoy watching them. Doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

So at this point, we've got two separate wings for sub-elite fighters... why not just let everyone who's ever boxed into the Hall, then?
                  Last edited by SBleeder; 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Please post a link to where I said the bolded.

And I don't believe that knockouts shouldn't be a part of boxing. I just don't enjoy watching them. Doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

So at this point, we've got two separate wings for sub-elite fighters... why not just let everyone who's ever boxed into the Hall, then?

Don't be an idiot. You know that there would be a lot of support for a wing/portion devoted to the guys who brought the blood and guts.....and they would be well-known guys. Sub-elite slicksters aren't as popular as sub-elite brawlers/punchers, that's a fact that you cannot deny.

Hard punches result in people getting hurt and fights ending or being turned around. You said you hate when a slick guy is winning and one punch changes things in the other guy's way.

Comment

Don't be an idiot. You know that there would be a lot of support for a wing/portion devoted to the guys who brought the blood and guts.....and they would be well-known guys. Sub-elite slicksters aren't as popular as sub-elite brawlers/punchers, that's a fact that you cannot deny.

Hard punches result in people getting hurt and fights ending or being turned around. You said you hate when a slick guy is winning and one punch changes things in the other guy's way.
                      That's what makes boxing special. In no other sport do you get the chance to come back late from being hopelessly behind.

Comment

Working...
                      X