Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you supposed to move your head off-center every time you throw a jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you supposed to move your head off-center every time you throw a jab?

??

Examples of fighters who do this? Is it advisable?

Yo dont want to leave your head in the strike zone when you jab. If you jab straight ahead and dont move your head your opponent can reach out and punch you in the face. So move your head or jab in from an angle.

Comment

that's what I was thinking. I used the 'angle jab' (slight bend to the right) once in sparring and I didn't get hit flush once, but my coach told me to stop doing it because I 'should be fighting tall'

I'm going to ignore him. harder for your opponent to see the right hand coming as well.

Comment

i call it a slip jab....i tho slip too much sometimes...never been taken advantage of it however know at any time a "good" fighter will b able too...mainly cause it takes that lil extra time to get back str8...i had a coach recently come in and yeah wants me to punch w head str8 lol obviously i didnt listen..and the class did not either as i showed them a good point to y not do it..however one always wants to change it up..dont go same everytime or ur opponent will catch on...lil lean = good....too much can b bad...none=getten hit at same time probably

Comment

^ good advice...c/s on changing it up

any thoughts on using it if you're almost always the taller guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Akhi View Post
            ^ good advice...c/s on changing it up

any thoughts on using it if you're almost always the taller guy?
            i'm 5'11" at 140 i'm always the taller guy...lol ...i luuuv my jab...throw in the upper jab too...its hard to explain...its not a ko uppercut..jus a small lil up thrust..does well to lift chin to put right hand in there...i throw double jabs...triple...etc...again tho usually against my students..lol...good competetion usually i keep it at the double..

Comment

It's not bad but if you create the habit someone will time your jab and use it against you ala Bhop/Tarver. It got so bad that Buddy begged Tarver to stop jabbing all together.

Comment

no, it's a waste of energy/motion and will get you caught. Use your eyes while you're throwing it and you'll react as you need to.

the secret is moving your head when your done throwing. You throw a jab and then move your head because generally when you stop throwing that's when many opponents will start throwing back. But dont go to the same place 2 times in a row, mix it up. You may just throw the jab and easily pick his returm jab off with your right hand with out even having to move your head.

You may dig slipping your head and jabbing at the same time. THere are tons of different things that you can do. Just don't get into the habit of doing the exact same things 2 times in a row..............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
                  i'm 5'11" at 140 i'm always the taller guy...lol ...i luuuv my jab...throw in the upper jab too...its hard to explain...its not a ko uppercut..jus a small lil up thrust..does well to lift chin to put right hand in there...i throw double jabs...triple...etc...again tho usually against my students..lol...good competetion usually i keep it at the double..
                  the up-jab.........nice tool.............Rockin'

Comment

lift the shoulder up and drop the head, so it hits on the shoulder. slip under if it's coming in high enough. that's how i jab.

Comment

Working...
                    X