Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Jack Johnson Get a Pass on Opposition while Marciano Does Not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    You're obviously trolling now. Done.
    You were done before you started.

Comment

• JACK JOHNSON TO FIGHT SAM McVEY
      Champion Agrees to Go to Australia for $30,000 Purse, Win, Lose or Draw
      [Special Dispatch to The Call] CHICAGO. Ill Dec. 29.—Jack Johnson and Sam McVey will fight for the heavy weight championship of the world in Australia some time before May. Tom Andrews. Milwaukee fight promoter, who is the special agent of Promoter Hugh Mclntosh, spent two hours with Johnson today. The outcome of the lengthy conference was that Jack will receive a guarantee of $30,000, win, lose or draw; $5,000 for expense money, and round trip tickets to Australia for four persons. If any American promoters want to sign Johnson in the meantime they will have to meet this figure. The champion believes that McVey, by virtue of his victory over Sam Langford, is his logical opponent, although he is willing to take on any white fighters for his "price." Johnson and McVey have met before. Johnson says he stopped Sam in six rounds, and the second time secured a cieancut decision over the 20 round route. Books of ring records give Johnson two 20 round decisions and one knockout in 20 rounds. The champion believes it will take little training on his part to defeat McVey jug asserted that he would start worK immediately. "McVey is made to order for me. Johnson "said tonight after he had taken Tom Andrews to the train "I have beaten him before, and I believe I can turn the trick in shorter time at the next meeting. I know too much for any of these fighters, and I always have enough reserve strength to more than stand off their best efforts. In meeting McVey I am adhering to the demands of the public. I can make more money in the theatrical business than I can by meeting this fellow, but as long as the public wants the champion to meet McVey, Johnson is agreeable. "Furthermore, I will meet Jim Flynn, Al Kaufman. Carl Morris Morris or Al Palzer before I leave for any distance if the promoters will give me $30,000 for my end."

Apparently the businessmen financing the fight pulled out.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
        I think you struck a nerve with him. Good. Maybe he will finally learn something!
        No I wish but no he aint never gonna get it.Thats ok.I was nice until he started acting like he knew something and throwing out little digs.Jack Johnson I will admit is a personal favorite but that don't make me biased.Just think the guy had BA LLS the size of west Texas and was smart for a guy with 6th grade education.He could speak French fluently(maybe more)and was also a Napoleon freak and knew everthing about the guy I guess.But I just wonder how the he ll he did not get killed!!!!He was obv VERY street smart too.And here is something I'm sure he will love but he was a pimp(as were many fighters of time).Not saying he did not get railroaded in case that got him in trouble but he did run some cathouses.

Comment

JACK JOHNSON TO FIGHT SAM McVEY
          Champion Agrees to Go to Australia for $30,000 Purse, Win, Lose or Draw
          [Special Dispatch to The Call] CHICAGO. Ill Dec. 29.—Jack Johnson and Sam McVey will fight for the heavy weight championship of the world in Australia some time before May. Tom Andrews. Milwaukee fight promoter, who is the special agent of Promoter Hugh Mclntosh, spent two hours with Johnson today. The outcome of the lengthy conference was that Jack will receive a guarantee of $30,000, win, lose or draw; $5,000 for expense money, and round trip tickets to Australia for four persons. If any American promoters want to sign Johnson in the meantime they will have to meet this figure. The champion believes that McVey, by virtue of his victory over Sam Langford, is his logical opponent, although he is willing to take on any white fighters for his "price." Johnson and McVey have met before. Johnson says he stopped Sam in six rounds, and the second time secured a cieancut decision over the 20 round route. Books of ring records give Johnson two 20 round decisions and one knockout in 20 rounds. The champion believes it will take little training on his part to defeat McVey jug asserted that he would start worK immediately. "McVey is made to order for me. Johnson "said tonight after he had taken Tom Andrews to the train "I have beaten him before, and I believe I can turn the trick in shorter time at the next meeting. I know too much for any of these fighters, and I always have enough reserve strength to more than stand off their best efforts. In meeting McVey I am adhering to the demands of the public. I can make more money in the theatrical business than I can by meeting this fellow, but as long as the public wants the champion to meet McVey, Johnson is agreeable. "Furthermore, I will meet Jim Flynn, Al Kaufman. Carl Morris Morris or Al Palzer before I leave for any distance if the promoters will give me $30,000 for my end."

Apparently the businessmen financing the fight pulled out.
          Nice and aint that weird but the "financing pulled out"sounds like what we have been telling him for days now.

Comment

• Jack Johnson Accepts a fight with Joe Jeannette in NYC.

Promoters back out after the NY Athletic Commission states that it won't allow the bout. Johnson believed that NY being against him fighting was because they don't have a White fighter who can beat him. The commissioner of the NY Athletic Commission says it's against "public policy."

Comment

• Originally posted by john l View Post
              Nice and aint that weird but the "financing pulled out"sounds like what we have been telling him for days now.
              He won't pay attention. Though he has me on ignore, he peeks at my posts, but he avoids and then later will claim that only he knows what he's talking about. He has shown over and over that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Comment

No I wish but no he aint never gonna get it.Thats ok.I was nice until he started acting like he knew something and throwing out little digs.Jack Johnson I will admit is a personal favorite but that don't make me biased.Just think the guy had BA LLS the size of west Texas and was smart for a guy with 6th grade education.He could speak French fluently(maybe more)and was also a Napoleon freak and knew everthing about the guy I guess.But I just wonder how the he ll he did not get killed!!!!He was obv VERY street smart too.And here is something I'm sure he will love but he was a pimp(as were many fighters of time).Not saying he did not get railroaded in case that got him in trouble but he did run some cathouses.
                hahaha. Funny. I just rewatched "Unforgivable Blackness" last week. Good stuff. I've been reading from the book here and there, but I have to buy a copy for my collection!

You've definitely shown that you know a lot about Jack. I've been reading a bit more about him today. Funny what you mentioned. I just read two stories about how one guy ran up on him while he was in his care and punched him, "Just because I don't like him." The guy wasn't arrested...and I thin, very lucking he wasn't knocked out.

That was followed by another story of his car being sideswiped and I think he was knocked out of the car. Speculation had it that it was done on purpose, and the driver never stopped. Man. This guy was really up against it!

Comment

hahaha. Funny. I just rewatched "Unforgivable Blackness" last week. Good stuff. I've been reading from the book here and there, but I have to buy a copy for my collection!

You've definitely shown that you know a lot about Jack. I've been reading a bit more about him today. Funny what you mentioned. I just read two stories about how one guy ran up on him while he was in his care and punched him, "Just because I don't like him." The guy wasn't arrested...and I thin, very lucking he wasn't knocked out.

That was followed by another story of his car being sideswiped and I think he was knocked out of the car. Speculation had it that it was done on purpose, and the driver never stopped. Man. This guy was really up against it!
                  Yea can you imagine how many times he was prob in someones sights.Really I cant believe he was not killed.I mean blacks were getting hanged for winking at white girls 60 years later and he MARRIED TWO.No NAACP or black Muslims just him. And a lot of black people did not like him for trouble he brought.The guy really was toughest and prob smartest heavy of his time and 1st to parry blows with hands never seen a fighter(at least heavy)do that before him.

Comment

Jack Johnson Accepts a fight with Joe Jeannette in NYC.

Promoters back out after the NY Athletic Commission states that it won't allow the bout. Johnson believed that NY being against him fighting was because they don't have a White fighter who can beat him. The commissioner of the NY Athletic Commission says it's against "public policy."
                    Your killing the guy now.Last one ALMOST made me feel sry for guy.Sry azz just gave a red for trying to teach him forget about the sry part lmao.

Comment

Your killing the guy now.Last one ALMOST made me feel sry for guy.Sry azz just gave a red for trying to teach him forget about the sry part lmao.
                      hahaha. If that dude doesn't like that one, he's certainly not going to like the last one I have for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X