No announcement yet.

sparred for the first time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparred for the first time

i sparred for the first time and i was so awful. when i train i thought i had pretty good boxing technique but when it came to sparring it seemed like it all went away. i kept getting good clean hits from my partners. at a point i was afraid to get hit but i sucked it up, i was just discouraged. well im going to learn from this big time. do any of you guys have experiences like this or advice?

don't stresss about it too much. Just remember to stay relaxed next time and remember what you trained for. You just have to get used to sparring and seeing punches come at you. If you get hit try to think why you got hit and what you can do to avoid it. You're not going to be amazing overnight. It's going to take some time just stick with it.

Comment

how long have you trained for?

its completely normal man dont even worry about it. it is completely normal for any person when they get put into a situation of fighting that all thought goes out the window and all you want to do is survive. that will be your first real test as a fighter. the only way you will get over this natural fear is more experience in sparring. with time and sparring experience you'll get over it and you'll be able to use all technique.

the best thing you can do is make sure your cardio is excellent because when your not relaxed especially starting out, that tense anxiety you get will cause you to gas out and you want to do your best to supplement that with excellent cardio. as you learn to calm yourself down and relax then youll be fine.

also learn to just deal with the fact that your going to get hit. even defense gods like mayweather jr, ali and a prime beast of a man tyson got hit when they started. once your mind accepts that then all your techniques will flow.

in my experience, even though im still getting over getting hit, i feel like the early minutes or rounds of sparring is a warm up and after getting hit a few times it doesnt bother me much because my mind accepts it faster and faster with every sparring session and also i learned that if you stay attentive and know whats coming you can react even in the smallest way to dampen or avoid the hit so you never take a full on hit. just learn to stay calm and train your eyes to always stay looking forward. that will be the hardest thing to train your eyes because its natural to flinch when something is flying at your face. once you eyes are trained and your learn to relax then all is left is to let your technique out and sharpen it up.

dont feel down about not looking good in your first experience or for the next 100 rounds of sparring because thats the only way youll learn to condition your mind and eyes for fighting. youll notice that the more and more rounds you get under your belt, the quicker and quicker your mind will accept the fact youll get hit and eventually you wont have to go through that process and youll be layin fools out!

ps: a strategy that you might try doing is visually more when you shadowbox. yeah im sure you already are but really really try and visualize a person and how they throw each punch from feet to hips to shoulders and arms and then react accordingly. This helped me to get used to really applying what im visualizing to the person sparring me.

goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
        how long have you trained for?

its completely normal man dont even worry about it. it is completely normal for any person when they get put into a situation of fighting that all thought goes out the window and all you want to do is survive. that will be your first real test as a fighter. the only way you will get over this natural fear is more experience in sparring. with time and sparring experience you'll get over it and you'll be able to use all technique.

the best thing you can do is make sure your cardio is excellent because when your not relaxed especially starting out, that tense anxiety you get will cause you to gas out and you want to do your best to supplement that with excellent cardio. as you learn to calm yourself down and relax then youll be fine.

also learn to just deal with the fact that your going to get hit. even defense gods like mayweather jr, ali and a prime beast of a man tyson got hit when they started. once your mind accepts that then all your techniques will flow.

in my experience, even though im still getting over getting hit, i feel like the early minutes or rounds of sparring is a warm up and after getting hit a few times it doesnt bother me much because my mind accepts it faster and faster with every sparring session and also i learned that if you stay attentive and know whats coming you can react even in the smallest way to dampen or avoid the hit so you never take a full on hit. just learn to stay calm and train your eyes to always stay looking forward. that will be the hardest thing to train your eyes because its natural to flinch when something is flying at your face. once you eyes are trained and your learn to relax then all is left is to let your technique out and sharpen it up.

dont feel down about not looking good in your first experience or for the next 100 rounds of sparring because thats the only way youll learn to condition your mind and eyes for fighting. youll notice that the more and more rounds you get under your belt, the quicker and quicker your mind will accept the fact youll get hit and eventually you wont have to go through that process and youll be layin fools out!

ps: a strategy that you might try doing is visually more when you shadowbox. yeah im sure you already are but really really try and visualize a person and how they throw each punch from feet to hips to shoulders and arms and then react accordingly. This helped me to get used to really applying what im visualizing to the person sparring me.

goodluck
        good advice much thanks. ive been traing for about 6 months and i jus t got into sparring

Comment

Originally posted by ivan123 View Post
          i sparred for the first time and i was so awful. when i train i thought i had pretty good boxing technique but when it came to sparring it seemed like it all went away. i kept getting good clean hits from my partners. at a point i was afraid to get hit but i sucked it up, i was just discouraged. well im going to learn from this big time. do any of you guys have experiences like this or advice?
          The first thing you should learn when you first spar is that NOTHING works the way you think it does. So yeah, if you went through it and want to go back, your on the right path.

Theres a reason most people quit after their first time sparring, and it's because when you watch it and train, you really have no idea just how hard this sport is until you actually get in the ring.

Comment

my first time i sparred i was spitting out a pint of blood. i was lil chubby still well nto in boxing shape and been training for lik 6 months. working on basics was thinking im good. i sparred this light heavy and a heavy who was bout to go pro. i was winded first round and they was pounding me taking turns like i slap they lil sister lol. but i came back the next day. n never stoped i got better than both. the light heavy i whoped him so bad once he aint come back to gym for like 3 months.

Comment

when i comes to actual sparrng and fighting its about experience. and just being use to hitting someone moving and getting hit and catch fire slip and counter all comes from expereince. jsut keep training listening to your trainer coach and work hard and you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by ivan123 View Post
                good advice much thanks. ive been traing for about 6 months and i jus t got into sparring
                It was my 3rd month into boxing when I got my first taste at sparring, I have to say, I had the same results as you. But, it made me realize what I had to do. I went back to the drawing board and did nothin' but listen to my trainer. A few months later, I went back in the ring again and did better.

But, the original guy I sparred. He was such a stud, had loads of natural ability, he always kicked my @ss no matter what, lol

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy webb View Post
                  It was my 3rd month into boxing when I got my first taste at sparring, I have to say, I had the same results as you. But, it made me realize what I had to do. I went back to the drawing board and did nothin' but listen to my trainer. A few months later, I went back in the ring again and did better.

But, the original guy I sparred. He was such a stud, had loads of natural ability, he always kicked my @ss no matter what, lol
                  Ive only sparred a few times but I sparred with this dude who just turned pro and I got bitched out by my trainers cuz i caught him right on the nose and he was bleedin all over, and to make it worse that was just a lucky punch i was getting my head snapped back by this heavyweight monsters jab, and they got pissed cuz the big guy couldnt handle a little blood from his nose!

Comment

Working...
                  X