Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the better pressure fighter against Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the better pressure fighter against Floyd?

Ricky Hatton or Miguel Cotto

I am asking this because Floyd had no problems keeping off the ropes against Hatton, while against Cotto he was much more. Is this because of age? Or did Floyd willing stay on the ropes to make a less boring/running fight and more toe to toe.
    Hatton
    37.04%
    Cotto
    62.96%

Cotto is physically stronger than Floyd and outweighed him by about 10-15 pounds. Hatton fights in a different pressure style, mauling on the inside and smothering opponents. That was the first fight where I said Floyd is ALOT stronger than I gave him credit for.

Comment

To be honest, Mayweather was on the ropes a lot in the Hatton fight also.

And Hatton obviously only fights one way, Cotto is a lot more versatile.

But when Cotto was pressuring he was having more success than Hatton. Mainly due to his jab.

Then again, Mayweather in 2012 and Mayweather in 2007 are different fighters.

Mayweather was in his prime for the Hatton fight, IMO.

Comment

I went with Cotto because it was more what I would call intelligent pressure. Hatton was pretty fcukin wreckless, didn't jab his way in or anything.

Comment

Against Floyd, Cotto for sure. To me the way you need to pressure Floyd is in an intelligent manner and mix up the attacks a bit.

Reckless wild pressure is a way to get beat bad by Floyd.

Comment

Cotto. Floyd actually just chose to fight Hatton inside just to prove he was a better infighter than Hatton was, which he did. Floyd did the same with Cotto to a slightly lesser extent. There were times Floyd actually tried to get off the ropes and Cotto forced him back on there. Good gameplan by Cotto, too bad Floyd was beating him on the ropes with pin point counter shots and shoulder rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
              Cotto. Floyd actually just chose to fight Hatton inside just to prove he was a better infighter than Hatton was, which he did. Floyd did the same with Cotto to a slightly lesser extent. There were times Floyd actually tried to get off the ropes and Cotto forced him back on there. Good gameplan by Cotto, too bad Floyd was beating him on the ropes with pin point counter shots and shoulder rolls.
              Hatton kept getting tagged because he was going in with his head expose.. I cant even believe that a fighter with May's caliber took him 9 rounds to knock him out..

Floyd chose to fight inside the ropes because either he was trying to pace himself or he was being brought there because Cotto was cutting the ring off.. Only *****s would believe that Floyd chose to be there because he wanted to give people a treat...lol
              Last edited by mikemurni; 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemurni View Post
                Hatton kept getting tagged because he was going in with his head expose.. I cant even believe that a fighter with May's caliber took him 9 rounds to knock him out..

Floyd chose to fight inside the ropes because either he was trying to pace himself or he was being brought there because Cotto was cutting the ring off.. Only *****s would believe that Floyd chose to be there because he wanted to give people a treat...lol
                Actually it isn't that hard to believe. Watch Floyd-Corrales. Floyd spun off the ropes everytime he touched them. If he was in "boxing mode" he could have just done that all night and stayed in the middle of the ring. There was a few times he literally just walked backwards to the ropes like he was perfectly fine with being there.

Comment

I say Hatton because his style is synonymous with pressure fighting while clinching his opponent with one arm and mauling them on the inside with the other; As opposed to Cotto who is more of an out boxer puncher fighter, who just likes to throw punches while on the inside. But I will say this; If Hatton had a referee like Tony Weeks officiating him who would allow Cotto to constantly hold and hit Money May in the clinch, without so much as breaking the two apart, instead of Joe Cortez who would constantly break and separate himself and Money May apart every time the two ever clinched, then things could've gotten pretty interesting in that fight.
                  Last edited by champion4ever; 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Ricky Hatton had Cortez pulling him off Mayweather for the entire fight, so it's not really comparable.

Hatton had no problems cutting off the ring to get to Mayweather, Cotto did well too but was up against a slower version.

What Cotto did better than Hatton was get to Mayweather on the outside, he was hitting him with jabs FMJ didn't see coming.
                    Last edited by Weebler I; 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X