No announcement yet.

How high do you rank Miguel Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high do you rank Miguel Cotto?

I'm personally a big fan, but, until seeing his full record a moment ago, I didn't realise that the only man he ever beat to take their world title from them was Yuri Foreman. WBO Light Welterweight, WBA Welterweight and WBO Welterweight titles were all vacant when he fought for them.

No doubt that he's an excellent fighter, one of the best in the last decade IMO and has some great wins on his record, but has his success been in spite of the lack of any other Puerto Rican star and somewhat manufactured?

Hes a great warriror who has skill who isnt afraid to lay it on the line agaibst anyone. Thats where i rank him.

Its kinda weak to judge by belts won against champions and whatnot, as that is just a bunch of political b.s.. Miguel cotto has had a great career, beating many undefeateds, many people who were past/and or became champions, etc. And yes, cotto beat mosley, when mosley still had some fight in him.

Obviously cotto has a a few losses, one to plasterito, and the other two to two of the greatest fighters our generation (possibly any generation) has seen. One of those fights he had a piss poor gameplan and eventually got ran over after making the fight competitive in the first half, and the other fight was a well contested fight where he gave mayweather a run for his money.

Comment

Clottey was stripped just before fighting Cotto, he was an uncrowned champ so I still consider it an unification.

Cotto had an excellent career, not an all time great but a true elite fighter who was one of the best of his generation.

Comment

What do you expect? He fought for Bob Arum of course he was going to fight for vacate titles, Cotto is a very good fighter but at times he was overhyped under arum (as usual).

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Clottey was stripped just before fighting Cotto, he was an uncrowned champ so I still consider it an unification.

Cotto had an excellent career, not an all time great but a true elite fighter who was one of the best of his generation.
          yeah but Cotto lost that one.

You know, he was a decent B+ level fighter

The word "warrior" gets thrown around too much, "warriors" don't take knees, quit, and run away like he has done many times.

He was B+, he beat the guys he was supposed to beat and lost to the ones he was supposed to lose to, his resume is good but not great and he was a bully type fighter who was great when things were going his way but not so good under pressure.

Comment

a warrior with great boxing skills who's not afraid of fighting anyone, after seeing his last fight I believe he should hang up his gloves but if he decides to fight again i'm Team Cotto all day...

Comment

A solid gatekeeper, nothing else

Comment

A very popular underachiever.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                  A solid gatekeeper, nothing else
                  Juan manuel marquez is just a solid gatekeeper too, right?

Comment

Cotto IS a warrior. He has shortcomings I agree. However, that didn't stop him from having a great career. I would consider him a B+ fighter also. Achieved great things in his career and gave us some exciting fights. Definitely will be remembered and no doubt he'll be in HOF. I think he should consider retiring though, I didn't see much in his tank against Trout, but maybe it was because of Trout's style.

Comment

Working...
                    X