• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirog-Geale unification nearly set!

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com
    EMAIL
    PRINT
    Promoters Gary Shaw and Artie Pelullo are close to finalizing a "Boxing After Dark" doubleheader with HBO for Aug. 25 that, if everything is finalized, will feature a middleweight unification bout between Daniel Geale and Dmitry Pirog and a junior middleweight title bout between Austin Trout and Sergiy Dzinziruk.

"It's very close. We're 99 percent done," Pelullo told ESPN.com on Thursday. "I'm very excited about the opportunity for Pirog to be on HBO and for Dzinziruk to be back on HBO. These four fighters are among the best in their respective weight classes, and it's been a long time coming that they are on HBO."

The site for the card has not been determined.

Australia's Geale (27-1, 15 KOs), who would be making his third title defense in his American debut, and Russia's Pirog (19-0, 15 KOs), who also would be making his third title defense, would square off in the main event to unify two belts at 160 pounds.

Pirog won his belt in his only American appearance, a brutal fifth-round upset knockout of Daniel Jacobs in Las Vegas on an HBO pay-per-view undercard in July 2010. Pelullo said Pirog would still go through with a title defense scheduled for May 1 against an opponent to be determined in Russia.

In the opening bout, Trout (24-0, 14 KOs), of Las Cruces, N.M., would make the third title defense of his 154-pound belt against former titleholder Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), of Ukraine.

That fight moved a step closer to being finalized Thursday when nobody from the camp of interim titlist Anthony Mundine showed up at the purse bid for his mandatory bout with Trout. Trout was represented, but with nobody on hand from the Mundine camp interested in bidding, Trout will be allowed to make the optional defense against Dzinziruk.

Dzinziruk has not fought since being dropped five times in an eighth-round knockout loss when he moved up to middleweight to challenge world champion Sergio Martinez in March 2011. The August card came about because one of the stipulations in Dzinziruk's deal to fight Martinez was that HBO guaranteed him a return fight on the network, which is living up to its overdue obligation.

"These are two very interesting, pick 'em fights," said Shaw, who promotes Geale, co-promotes Trout with Greg Cohen and co-promotes Dzinziruk with Pelullo, who also promotes Pirog. "We'll come out with someone important at 154 and definitely someone important at 160. So I really like this card. I really believe there will be two people who come out of these fights who will be important to boxing in these two weight divisions."

RECOMMEND22TWEET15COMMENTS9EMAILPRINT

Dan Rafael
    Boxing
    Archive
    ESPN.com boxing writer since 2005
    Writes pound-for-pound rankings
    Five years at USA Today

Good fight hope it comes off but the unification of paper titles means nothing, this is a number 1 contenders match if it happens.

Comment

Great news. Winner gets Sergio hopefully

Comment

I like it! Get it done! Belts mean crap but it'll give winner leverage for a big fight.

Comment

They need more fights like this on HBO

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
            They need more fights like this on HBO
            Trout gets pwnt. Pirog wins but looks awful doing it - then people finally shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
              Trout gets pwnt. Pirog wins but looks awful doing it - then people finally shut up.
              You think Dzinziruk is beating Trout?

Pirog becoming unified champ won't shut people up. No matter how he looks. He would be a unified champ. You would wish they would shut up though. We all know that.

Comment

Is Pavlik planning on coming down to 160?

I could see the winner vs Pavlik.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                  You think Dzinziruk is beating Trout?

Pirog becoming unified champ won't shut people up. No matter how he looks. He would be a unified champ. You would wish they would shut up though. We all know that.
                  I think Dzinziruk will be a very hard outing for Trout.

Still slightly favor Trout.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    I think Dzinziruk will be a very hard outing for Trout.

Still slightly favor Trout.
                    I think Dzinziruk inactivity would be his downfall in the Trout fight. Plus he was showing signs of slippage before Martinez. The inactivity won't help that. And, he would be fighting twice in 2 and a half years.

Comment

Working...
                    X