Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAYWEATHER Sparring partner OUMA Added to StarPower Undercard

Craig McEwan Sizing Up Kassim Ouma for Mayweather vs Ortiz Undercard
    by Scott Christ on Aug 17, 2011 7:58 AM EDT in Boxing News Analysis
    Craig McEwan will reportedly face Kassim Ouma on September 17. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

"Ouma is going to be one of my toughest opponents - he took Jermaine Taylor the distance back in 2005 for both the WBO and WBC world titles," said McEwan. "He was also the IBF's world light- middleweight champion." ... "I need to show the American boxing people and Golden Boy Promotions, who back me, that my loss to Andy Lee was just a glitch and that I'm still a world-class performer.''

McEwan (19-1, 10 KO) has been out of the ring since his thrilling loss to Andy Lee on March 12. That was a fairly big step up in class for the 29-year-old Scott, and though he lost via final round TKO, he acquitted himself pretty nicely as both a guy who can compete with better fighters, and someone who can make for an exciting fight.

Ouma (27-8-1, 17 KO) can also make for fun fights still, and has had a mild little career rebirth following a very rough stretch. The 32-year-old Ugandan still has a lot of spirit, but he's just 2-6 in his last eight, and though four of those losses were close, his last fight was not. Ouma received a frankly undeserved title shot against WBA titlist Gennady Golovkin on June 17, and was stopped in ten. But he made a fight of it in Panama, and while he was overwhelmed late in the fight, I don't think it's a stretch to say Golovkin is a better fighter than McEwan. We'll see if the beatdown in the final three rounds of that fight has a negative impact on Ouma going into this fight, but if it didn't, Ouma can still be a tough out.

Could be a good fight.

Comment

Working...
    X