No announcement yet.

Pain in my shoulder throwing a left hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in my shoulder throwing a left hook

I'm having a lot of pain in my shoulder when I hit mitts. When I throw the left hook whether it's tight or wide it feels like something in my shoulder's not right anyone ever experienced this before? It's okay in sparring unless I miss lol
    Thanks in advance

Could be sore joint: have some rest for the start I guess

Comment

Get it checked out, also have your trainer review your technique, and maybe get a second opinion from another trainer or high level boxer.

You're probably not feeling it in sparring because of the adreneline. I have alot of joint issues, and can't hold cheap mitts anymore, not enough impact protection. My Dr. Perscribed cortisol for awhile, fealt great, but once I was off of it the pain comes back a bit, especially during golf. Alot of it started from my poor technique throwing punches and a football, and always throwing %110 reguardless of the pain.

Also check with a good massage therapist, It might be a muscle issue, At first I thought Massage Therapists were scams (like chiropractors) but after a few sessions I noticed I had better posture and bigger range of motion without pain.

Comment

The reason you're feeling that pain is because of wrong technique. Its normal for beginners to have that because theyre not used to throwing those punches and the weight shifting movements are awkward at first.

Your body is moving in one direction (to the right if youre orthodox) and your arm is moving to the left. That causes your joint to be stressed by the swinging motion (A hook should never feel like a swing). If youre not careful, you can dislocate your shoulder. I dislocated my shoulder doing it, didnt last more than a few seconds, but it happened.

Jack Dempsey even writes about it in his book about those shoulder injuries. It can happen with straight punches also.

The good news is youre shifting enough weight, that bad news is you're not doing anything with it. A hook that feels heavy like like that is carrying no weight into the target because there's no real follow through to the end of the fist.

A correct hook will always feel light, you wont feel heavy, you wont feel like you're swinging. It will be crisp and explosive. The best way to get it right is to focus delivering it from the angle (The side of the bag or chin), more than focusing on anything else. Once you get that right, practice throwing it from the angle and putting more force into by incorporating your body (try putting the side of your body into it). Pay attention to the sound too, an explosive snapped punch will sound like a firecracker and not a thud.

Comment

Originally posted by sevenone View Post
          I'm having a lot of pain in my shoulder when I hit mitts. When I throw the left hook whether it's tight or wide it feels like something in my shoulder's not right anyone ever experienced this before? It's okay in sparring unless I miss lol
          Thanks in advance
          If you have an inflated cartilage in your shoulder - simple glucozamine-hondraitine would help, sold at any pharmacie or even Walmart, if not you might need to easy up on that arm and have several cortisone shots. If it doesn't go away in a week you might want to see a doctor.

Comment

Take a couple of days off. Probably just sore.

Comment

Working...
            X