Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great points and pic to demonstrate them lol thanks mate!!

Is the back so important because along with the midsection it helps effeciently transmit the power of your hips to your punch, (where as power would be lost if it wasnt well developed) or does it the back add power in and by its self?

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
      What!!! Teaching someone how to punch correctly ALWAYS improves power significantly.
      Do you think alot of boxing trainers are basically rubbish, and many fighters get to the pros without learning how to use leverage? And so like he said its those that get it naturally or intuitively or by luck that become... at least good punchers?

And those fortunate enough to have a really excellent trainer are extremely rare?

Comment

Genetic I feel. Something inthe physiology of a fighter... I think a good comparison is a baseball pitcher. We can't all throw 100mph no matter the training. I mean I've been hit by my share of dudes and good leverage and power are hand in hand..but not always. Used to spar with a guy who seemed he was arm punching all the time an didn't exactly have great technique..yet it felt like he was holding on to a roll of quarters..just so heavy. It would hurt my forearms and just kind of hurt with everything its hard to put into words but most here should understand. I think a "heavy hand" and generating power might be a bit diff...but at the elite level usually goes hand in hand..but not always. Guys like Pac who sometimes throw without even having both feet on the ground I suspect is more a product of a "heavy hand".

Comment

I think it's something you're born with. Some guys I know that are natural athletes and are very strong for some reason just can't punch for ****.

I've been a big puncher since I can remember. I've been punching everything since I was a little kid. Walls, pillows, curtains, leaves from a tree, my shadow, anything I can hit without getting In trouble. before I ever went to a gym or got a bag, I would put my mattress on the Wall and hit that for hours.

Punching just feels right to me and I know how to use my body's maximum leverage and momentum to put all my weight into a punch, it's just something I do without thinking.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            Do you think alot of boxing trainers are basically rubbish, and many fighters get to the pros without learning how to use leverage? And so like he said its those that get it naturally or intuitively or by luck that become... at least good punchers?

And those fortunate enough to have a really excellent trainer are extremely rare?
            Any trainer with basic boxing knowledge should be able to teach someone that has never boxed before good technique and improve power.

Comment

nothing really Changed when I learned the proper way to throw a jab hook cross etc and how to position your feet . I still hit as hard or Harder

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                What exactly do you mean by "leverage" bro?
                He means full extension of the arms with the ability to pivot the feet. Also some fighters use their legs to punch they basically put all their weight let say on the back foot than let off a right hand or when they hook they'll plant their weight on the front leg and un leash their hook. Some people are also just born with heavy hands I think it has to do with thick bones or people with wide shoulders except for Bradley though. Than you have some people thin as a stick but they have long arms coupled with speed can create great pop like Tommy Hearns

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
                  I think it's something you're born with. Some guys I know that are natural athletes and are very strong for some reason just can't punch for ****.

I've been a big puncher since I can remember. I've been punching everything since I was a little kid. Walls, pillows, curtains, leaves from a tree, my shadow, anything I can hit without getting In trouble. before I ever went to a gym or got a bag, I would put my mattress on the Wall and hit that for hours.

Punching just feels right to me and I know how to use my body's maximum leverage and momentum to put all my weight into a punch, it's just something I do without thinking.

What gives someone heavy hands? (some people have heavy hands despite not being that heavy in total mass nor explosive like a sprrinter type athlete)

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                    Genetic I feel. Something inthe physiology of a fighter... I think a good comparison is a baseball pitcher. We can't all throw 100mph no matter the training. I mean I've been hit by my share of dudes and good leverage and power are hand in hand..but not always. Used to spar with a guy who seemed he was arm punching all the time an didn't exactly have great technique..yet it felt like he was holding on to a roll of quarters..just so heavy. It would hurt my forearms and just kind of hurt with everything its hard to put into words but most here should understand. I think a "heavy hand" and generating power might be a bit diff...but at the elite level usually goes hand in hand..but not always. Guys like Pac who sometimes throw without even having both feet on the ground I suspect is more a product of a "heavy hand".
                    Look at foreman. He never looked like he was putting his whole body into his shots yet he was hitting like a sledgehammer. I didnt think the punch that koed moorer looked anything special until i saw the result on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                      What!!! Teaching someone how to punch correctly ALWAYS improves power significantly.
                      Exactly.

There's a lot of boxers who don't punch correctly, even champion level fighters

Amir Khan is a prime example, he doesn't leverage his shots properly, is always off balance and has **** accuracy.

Some of its "natural" but learning proper technique really helps, people with no training usually arm punch

Comment

Working...
                      X