VIDEO: Amir Khan on the mitts with Virgil Hunter ahead of Molina bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting and different

i noted he was throwing the jab, which makes a change,

what will be interesting is to see is his punch out put and if he can avoid doing flurries and throw fast combos which are timed and effective.

also i noted in the video he was throwing heavy punches on his backfoot, which i'd like to see him do in the ring.

Comment

not that we can tell anything from a mitt workout, but compare it to Khans mitt workout for the fight against Garcia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qO-8jgDuY

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
        On a side note: Virgil Hunter is huge...
        and his head looks tiny.

One thing I noticed is Hunter has slowed everything down, he appears to be trying to turn Khan into a more thoughtful fighter.

The big question of course is whether Khan can still be effective fighting in this way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          and his head looks tiny.

One thing I noticed is Hunter has slowed everything down, he appears to be trying to turn Khan into a more thoughtful fighter.

The big question of course is whether Khan can still be effective fighting in this way.
          good spot, i also noted Khans hands stay up high and one is under his chin when he throws a punch, defensive while being offensive

slowing things down is a good idea, he should use his speed in small bursts, it'll help tigethen up his defense and allow him to think.

now we will have to see if after taking a huge blow he reverts back to being wide open stance

Comment

He has Khan blocking shots while staying right in front of his opponents and countering immediately instead of jumping in and out. Which is good if you add head movement on top of that like Ward does, I don't see it though.

Comment

and his head looks tiny.

when you learn something new you have to slow things down first, especially when it comes to technique and hunter is working on his technique here. hes getting khan used to seeing the punches coming back at him in the midst of throwing his own shots, he has no choice but to slow things down in order for khan to be able to do so. the more accusomed khan gets to seeing incoming shots the more the pace will speed up.

it doesnt have anything to do with being more thoughtful, what thinking is khan doing? hunter is picking all the punches for him to throw, its not like some exercises where you are picking your shots. the decline in speed is simply bcuz khan couldnt handle full speed at this point doing this kind of padwork.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks he'll became a champion again and a good one at that?

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  Am I the only one who thinks he'll became a champion again and a good one at that?
                  We've seen him come back before, sparked in 20 seconds by Prescott only to win two world titles, I think he's just the sort of fighter who needs a kick up the ass, and a trainer who will give him a slap when he's dozing off.

I've got a lot of faith in Hunter, I think his main challenge was probably the talk with Khan when they first met.

If Khan was as thick and ignorant as his haters say, I don't think hunter would have taken him on.

He knows what he needs to do, and I think he gets it done

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                    If Khan was as thick and ignorant as his haters say, I don't think hunter would have taken him on.
                    Yeah sure, he would have turned down the money because of Khan's ignorance.

Comment

If khan doesn't go looking for a knockout every time and actually boxes effectively he could outbox a lot of fighters, if the knockout comes it comes but he shouldn't be looking for knockouts he isn't mike Tyson. He should use his skills and outbox every ****er out there

Comment

Working...
                      X