Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would ali's style have faired........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would ali's style have faired........

......in other weight divisions? i think it wouldnt work

Originally posted by NextRocky
    ......in other weight divisions? i think it wouldnt work
    if ali was in another weight didvision, he would definetely be recognized as p4p one of the hardest hitting fighters ever!

Comment

it would have been great, look at sugar robinson, just the same as ali!
      ali's favourite fighter was robinson, so yes of course it would have fared greatly!

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
        if ali was in another weight didvision, he would definetely be recognized as p4p one of the hardest hitting fighters ever!
        But he was the softest hitting HW p4p ever, atleast for a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by barry
          it would have been great, look at sugar robinson, just the same as ali!
          ali's favourite fighter was robinson, so yes of course it would have fared greatly!
          Besides their comparable p4p hand & footspeed, reflexes, chin, etc, Ali and Robinson weren't THAT similiar in style.

Ali was probably more elusive at his best, but didn't really hold too many edges over Robinson in the p4p sense of things. But Robinson, he had quite a few advantages over Ali, in my opinion, including such things as; a good edge in punching power, good edge in inside fighting ability, a more proper boxing technigue, diversity (more well-rounded), killer instinct, etc, etc...He was a MUCH better offensive fighter than was Ali in a p4p comparision, if you ask me, and he was simply a p4p better fighter to my eyes.

As per the thread starter's question...One of the main things that made Ali so special at Heavyweight was his ability to show skills that were usually reserved for fighters at the lower weights, and it would only make sense to think that if he was fighting at a lower weight like Middleweight, for example, (while retaining the same skillset he had at Heavyweight) he wouldn't have been nearly quite as special.

Comment

P4P Ali was not a great puncher. Who did he knock out that was significantly heavier than himsef? He did not have great punching mechanics so his musculature and bodily strength coupled with fast hands are what produced his best knockouts. Heavyweights who were great P4P punchers included Louis, Marciano, Dempsey, Fitzsimmons, etc. Ali would be at the bottom of the list IMO. Gene Tunney was a bigger puncher P4P.

Comment

Working...
            X