No announcement yet.

This weekend we witnessed the Mayweather effect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend we witnessed the Mayweather effect

We saw what Mayweather does to his opponents in the Rigo fight. The only difference is Mayweather's opponents keep coming cause they don't respect his power. And Rigo broke his opponent down in one round after a few good shots. Once they feel Rigo's power they're like "nah uh."

If only Rigo would've turned pro earlier. It's tough being Cuban. All these fighters are would've/could've.

Floyd at featherweight had extraordinary power.. He knocked out great fighters at the time easily without taking any damage.

Watch the Canelo fight Mayweather was in his face and he was scared to throw because he couldn't hit him and was getting tagged.. They obviously respect his power especially since he perfectly counters them.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
      We saw what Mayweather does to his opponents in the Rigo fight. The only difference is Mayweather's opponents keep coming cause they don't respect his power. And Rigo broke his opponent down in one round after a few good shots. Once they feel Rigo's power they're like "nah uh."

If only Rigo would've turned pro earlier. It's tough being Cuban. All these fighters are would've/could've.
      It's hell to fight a guy who not only hits hard, but is accurate, too.

Comment

Will you feel this way when Rigo climbs 17-20 lbs? I doubt that. WTF

Comment

To be fair, Mayweather is on his 4th and 5th weight classes at 147-154. Rigondeaux has only been at 122 as a pro. Mayweather at 130 brought the fire.

But the funny thing is, and I'm a huge Rigondeaux fan, had Mayweather fought someone like Agbeko, he'd have gotten NO CREDIT no matter how good he looked. Agbeko was basically coming off two losses, moving up in weight, and coming off like a 2 year layoff (he had that one fight back in February against that nobody I guess). I mean if Floyd fights something like that, basically something like a Khan fight, he'd get NO CREDIT. So Rigondeaux looked good against Agbeko, but I mean it's not counted as a solid win for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wokingman View Post
            Floyd at featherweight had extraordinary power.. He knocked out great fighters at the time easily without taking any damage.

Watch the Canelo fight Mayweather was in his face and he was scared to throw because he couldn't hit him and was getting tagged.. They obviously respect his power especially since he perfectly counters them.
            you mean jr lightweight?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              To be fair, Mayweather is on his 4th and 5th weight classes at 147-154. Rigondeaux has only been at 122 as a pro. Mayweather at 130 brought the fire.

But the funny thing is, and I'm a huge Rigondeaux fan, had Mayweather fought someone like Agbeko, he'd have gotten NO CREDIT no matter how good he looked. Agbeko was basically coming off two losses, moving up in weight, and coming off like a 2 year layoff (he had that one fight back in February against that nobody I guess). I mean if Floyd fights something like that, basically something like a Khan fight, he'd get NO CREDIT. So Rigondeaux looked good against Agbeko, but I mean it's not counted as a solid win for me.
              To be fair, Rigo is well over 30, so he clearly isn't getting any bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post

The only problem with this analysis is it compares Floyd fighting at 147/154 this far into his career to Rigo fighting at his natural weight. GRanted, Rigo could be 85 yrs old for all we know.

A more valid comparison would be to floyd at 130/135. Below 140 floyd is 31-0 and 21KO's, (80% of his total KO's), above 140 14-0, 5 KO's.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

But the funny thing is, and I'm a huge Rigondeaux fan, had Mayweather fought someone like Agbeko, he'd have gotten NO CREDIT no matter how good he looked. Agbeko was basically coming off two losses, moving up in weight, and coming off like a 2 year layoff. I mean if Floyd fights something like that, basically something like a Khan fight, he'd get NO CREDIT. So Rigondeaux looked good against Agbeko, but I mean it's not counted as a solid win for me.
                  Ehh. Not comparable.

Rigo was a bantamweight at age 20, Floyd was a super featherweight at age 20. Floyd's frame allowed his body to grow into the welterweight division whereas Rigo's frame doesn't. People grow differently. Floyd can't fight at 130, 135 and probably not 140 at his current age. Rigo can probably still make 118 at his.

Rigo doesn't even rehydrate to the featherweight limit. Him fighting at 126 is the equivalent of Floyd fighting at 154. (He doesn't even rehydrate to the 154 limit).

As far as Agbeko, Floyd can choose his opponent, Rigo can't. And when you look at other candidates for fighter of the year:

Garcia beat Judah
                  Adonis beat Boone, Bellew and Cloud
                  Kovalev beat Campillo, White and Cleverly

Agbeko is at least on the level of those opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    To be fair, Rigo is well over 30, so he clearly isn't getting any bigger.
                    Yeah so comparing Floyd fighting at 36 in his 4th and 5th weight classes, when a guy is on his only weight class isn't fair in terms of power. People act like Floyd didn't bring the heat at his first weight class, probably because they weren't watching the sport in 98'.

Comment

Working...
                    X