No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fonfara Grabs Odd TKO Over Karpency, Wins IBO Belt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fonfara Grabs Odd TKO Over Karpency, Wins IBO Belt

Before a crowd of of 4,224 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Andrzej Fonfara (23-2, 13KOs) captured the IBO light heavyweight title with a seventh-round technical knockout of Tommy Karpency (21-4-1, 14KOs). The fight started fast, with Fonfara scoring two rapid knockdowns in the first round. Karpency came back and started winning a few rounds to make things close.

[Click Here To Read More]

yeah, it was such a disappointing way to end a championship fight. i got to talk to karpency when he was walking back to his dressing room, he said he messed up his shoulder and that he couldn't lift it. the ref told him if he can't continue he'd lose by tko. so he had no choice. what i don't understand, if he did in fact mess his shoulder up when he fell, why didn't the fight go to the scorecards for a technical decision? fonfara didn't drop karpency with a punch, did he? camera man and people standing up in front of me made it hectic to get a clear view of the incident. it didn't look like fonfara threw a punch, looks like the article says "fonfara threw karpency to the mat". i thought when something like that happens (like an accidental headbutt) and one fighter can't continue, it goes to the cards. anyways, i hope they rematch. karpency was outboxing fonfara in some rounds and that last round was dominating from the looks of it.
    Last edited by chiguy91; 11-17-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Fonfara also broke his right hand in second round and fought pretty much one handed for the rest of the fight, something author forgot to mention.

Comment

http://youtu.be/RnPnUD186Uc

Comment

Looks like Fonfara dominated the fight.

Comment

I'll never understand how a fighter coming off a loss can fight for a title (unless the fight was a total robbery)

Comment

I thought Fonfara was winning 4rounds to 2 . Also If Fonfara broke his hand then a rematch would be a different story. I noticed Fonfara mostly just jabbing and not really using his right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                Looks like Fonfara dominated the fight.
                More like got dominated.

Karpency was slapping him around and won every single round. Even the first where got knocked down and hurt, I thought he was winning.

I think he thought he was going to get robbed (very likely) and just went balls out in the 7th and went for the KO. He managed to hurt Fonfara but they got tangled up, Karpency fell, then claimed he hurt his shoulder.

I think he thought he was up on the scorecards (which he should have been) and would've gotten a TD in his favor. But the ref counted it as a TKO cuz Karpency couldn't continue.

Strange ending.

Comment

Did he say he didn't want to or couldn't?

Comment

Working...
                  X