Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will America still be interested if a superstar HW appear? Or it's now too late.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will America still be interested if a superstar HW appear? Or it's now too late.

I honestly don't know if a American HW can still regain mainstream status like in the past.

Lewis-Tyson was the last mainstream fight that I remember from America.. People today think that 'Mayweather-Cotto' and Pac-Marquez' is 'mainstream' because it got some publicity.

Lewis-Tyson dwarfed those fights in terms of publicity and hype, but even than in 2002 the heavyweights was dying and that was pretty much a 'last of the mohicans ' thing

I think the gap has become too large in terms of public interest. Plus you have so many other sports now competing at it's peak in America. NBA and NFL being just two of many.

The sheer marketability factor might be missing now.

It will. Just wait and see. Guy will do half the work as both Klits and get praised like the greats from the past. Oh he moves like Ali, punches like Foreman, is relentless like Tyson, etc.

Comment

An exciting heavyweight will garner attention anywhere.

David Haye could have been that HW if he travelled to the US and backed himself to beat their lot instead of staying inactive and only chasing huge paydays which probably won't come.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

You need a couple of them to make some noise, I don't think one US Heavyweight is simply enough.

Rated Heavyweights around that particular time;

Evander Holyfield,
        Mike Tyson,
        Kirk Johnson,
        Chris Byrd,
        Shannon Briggs,
        Jameel Mccline,
        John Ruiz,
        Roy Jones Jr.
        Hasim Rahman

It's difficult when you put your hopes on a single fighter. I don't particularly see enough match ups between US Heavies in the near future, but that can change though. Remember Holyfield & Tyson had been active since the late 80's which was close to two decades, but were still the stalwart names of the division. If they can create a good healthy culture in the US again then maybe yes. The last ATG Heavyweight is still fighting at 50.
        Last edited by damuttz112; 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

They'll be all over it. I've lived in the US long enough to know that they are the most fickle fans in the world.

People change NFL teams all the time, jumping ship to whoever they think will be the best this season (not everyone but more than in other countries). *

Same with basketball. They support a team based on a player they like. The player changes teams, well so do they. *

You get an American Heavyweight ruling the roost again & boxing will be huge in America.

* - while the two examples given above may not relate to YOU (yes you) you know who I am talking about. people in other countries don't change their 'football' teams like this - whatever version of football it is that they watch.

Comment

The question is not if people will support a mainstream american HW, of course they will. The question is if one will appear in the near future. Vitali is almost out but Wlad can carry on another 4-5 years and I don't see anyone beating him. After that the division will be scattered like it was post Ali but I don't see a Tyson coming along an unifying.

Comment

yeaah rright but who? wilder? beatbum! jennings? weak punch, too long hands

soo fu**in new smashing punch! Shpilophosy-punch! crazy

Comment

What a bizarre thread. Will americans still be interested in a dominant US heavyweight? I guess so. I mean they seem to be have grown pretty fond a Filipino midget I'm pretty sure a giant bone crushing yank would be right up their alley.

Lewis vs Tyson was the last mainstream fight you remember? The hell? Seeing as Oscar vs Mayweather set the records for PPV buys and got coverage in every part of the world you think that would be on your list. Also, guess what ... Manny and Mayweather have sold more PPVs than Tyson ever did.

The most likely future stars are two Mexicans and a little mouthy midget, so yes I'm pretty sure Americans would eat up a dominant American heavyweight. Jesus Christ boxing fans have strange logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                  It will. Just wait and see. Guy will do half the work as both Klits and get praised like the greats from the past. Oh he moves like Ali, punches like Foreman, is relentless like Tyson, etc.
                  You mean he'll be exciting and not robotic like the Klits? Lmao.

Comment

it's too late, boxing is doomed to fail with better avenues for athletic endeavors and mma

Comment

Working...
                    X