No announcement yet.

The Holiday History Contest!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holiday History Contest!!

JAB5239 and Tbear present the Holiday History Contest.

The rules and contest are pretty simple!

Write a post/essay about one fighter that you greatly respect and why. Start with why you picked that fighter and follow with the career accomplishments that make the fighter stand out. End with something good or respectable about the figher outside the ring, about personal life etc.

Rules
    Minimum word req. 100 words(No Maximum)
    No fighter can be done twice in the contest.
    The fighter has been retired at least 10 years.
    You may enter as many times as you want for other prizes, However the points prize will only be won once.
    Anyways, the idea is that everybody that meets the easy requirements is a winner.

5 billion points(only one time prize)

Other prizes to choose from:
    I have a very good collection of E-nostalgia to award.

The greatest of the Greatest:
    A zip containing 18 full sized photos from the Life Magazine collection of Muhammad Ali. Full sized and top quality pics.

4most boys comics: A scanned comic from the 50's with a boxing theme, has a couple page story in it about the life of James Braddock.

Boxing News - 25 January 2008
    A complete boxing magazine scanned

Ring Magazine March 1953
    A complete boxing magazine scanned

Boxing Guide to the Manly Art(1917)
    Complete historical scanned ebook(early boxing book)

Boxing Photos:
    A collection of boxing photos(a ton packed in RAR file)

Also a collection of original old radio broadcasts(mainly
    mp3)

Louis vs Baer
    Louis vs Sharkey
    Louis vs Schmeling
    Louis vs Walcott
    Louis announcing his return from retirement
    Zale vs Graciano
    Chuck Davey vs Ike Williams
    Randy Turpin vs. Carl Bobo Olsen
    Johanssen vs Patterson
    (Each winner can have all of these original radio broadcasts)

Contest ends Sunday Janurary 10th, 2013.
    Last edited by TBear; 01-03-2013, 12:26 AM.

Can we reserve a fighter here?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      Can we reserve a fighter here?
      No I'm afraid it is first come first serv. But if a fighters is done, I am sure you could find another to do.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        No I'm afraid it is first come first serv. But if a fighters is done, I am sure you could find another to do.
        Red K given

(Kidding)

Do we submit in here? I have never been a part of one of these before.

EDIT: I have already posted it as its own thread because I didn't want someone stealing Patterson.

MINE.
        Last edited by Capaedia; 12-24-2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          Red K given

(Kidding)

Do we submit in here? I have never been a part of one of these before.

EDIT: I have already posted it as its own thread because I didn't want someone stealing Patterson.

MINE.
          Yes just do it as a post here. I tried to make it simple but I didn't do good at it .

You can post it here or start a new thread, either way is fine
          Last edited by TBear; 12-24-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

roberto duran

Roberto Duran the Man with the Hands of Stone
            Rubin Blades once said before the first fight with Roberto Duran that Sugar Ray Leonard would not be fighting a man but an emotion. This statement describes Duran in simple but accurate terms. He fought with a controlled fury with a look on his face that chilled most boxers. He also cried when he handed out money to the poor children on the street s of the panama slums where he was born. He named his son Robin(as in Robin Hood) as a gesture to person he became when poverty gave way to become a wealthy person who gave money away when he was prosperous and even when his wealth had lessened. He truly took from the rich to give to the poor.
            These traits compelled his many fans to be loyal and inspired. He motivated himself with a false sense of hate to ply his trade but also showed uncommon generosity like buying presents for his opponent’s after their matches or chewing out promoters if he felt his opponent’s where not fairly compensated. When his aura of invincibility was removed he preserved for himself and his people.
            When one of his greatest rivals was dying he visited him on his deathbed.
            Roberto Duran the man with hands of stone but a emotional being who lifted a nation with pride and generosity.
            He rose he fell and rose again.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              Rubin Blades once said before the first fight with Roberto Duran that Sugar Ray Leonard would not be fighting a man but an emotion. This statement describes Duran in simple but accurate terms. He fought with a controlled fury with a look on his face that chilled most boxers. He also cried when he handed out money to the poor children on the street s of the panama slums where he was born. He named his son Robin(as in Robin Hood) as a gesture to person he became when poverty gave way to become a wealthy person who gave money away when he was prosperous and even when his wealth had lessened. He truly took from the rich to give to the poor.
              These traits compelled his many fans to be loyal and inspired. He motivated himself with a false sense of hate to ply his trade but also showed uncommon generosity like buying presents for his opponent’s after their matches or chewing out promoters if he felt his opponent’s where not fairly compensated. When his aura of invincibility was removed he preserved for himself and his people.
              Roberto Duran the man with hands of stone but a emotional being who lifted a nation with pride and generosity.
              Good job RSU, let me know what prize you want.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Yes just do it as a post here. I tried to make it simple but I didn't do good at it .

You can post it here or start a new thread, either way is fine
                No problem! It's an easy oversight.

I didn't know quite a few of these about Duran.

Good one.

Comment

If I had to headline or title your essay, it would be - ROBERTO DURAN: Hands of stone, heart of gold.

Comment

Thus far everybody has asked for the 1953 ring magazine. I was hoping to give alot away for the holiday contest so all winners may pick a second prize. Including the two previous winners.

Comment

Working...
                    X