Saunders asked for more money than Smith did

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saunders asked for more money than Smith did

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...-interim-bouts

“Besides wanting more money to agree to a third Golovkin fight, Alvarez also had a change of heart and said he preferred to fight Saunders (29-0, 14 KOs), 30, instead of Smith (27-0, 19 KOs), 29. The issue, however, was that by that time Saunders' asking price was higher than Smith's, according to sources.”

Maybe we should apologize to Smith for saying he priced himself out LOL.

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
    https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...-interim-bouts

“Besides wanting more money to agree to a third Golovkin fight, Alvarez also had a change of heart and said he preferred to fight Saunders (29-0, 14 KOs), 30, instead of Smith (27-0, 19 KOs), 29. The issue, however, was that by that time Saunders' asking price was higher than Smith's, according to sources.”

Maybe we should apologize to Smith for saying he priced himself out LOL.
    Maybe you should apologize to Canelo for saying he was lowballing

Comment

Hearn was just playing with GBP for the BJS and Smith negotiations. It's no different than the way Haymon works deals. Hearn was shook after the Jacobs fight. Given DAZN's losses for Q2 because of Coronavirus for all its platform sports, in the end, DAZN is doing a power move to beg Canelo for the GGG fight with a non-disclosed premium. It will make up for Q2-Q3 financial losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Bidness View Post
        Hearn was just playing with GBP for the BJS and Smith negotiations. It's no different than the way Haymon works deals. Hearn was shook after the Jacobs fight. Given DAZN's losses for Q2 because of Coronavirus for all its platform sports, in the end, DAZN is doing a power move to beg Canelo for the GGG fight with a non-disclosed premium. It will make up for Q2-Q3 financial losses.

Oscar's MO is always the same...

publicly announce that he made (often) identical offers to numerous potential opponents... so that each of the opponents know that there is pressure to accept... so GBP can gain leverage

it looks to me like...

1) Smith either... wisely accepted the offer... or wisely negotiated a reasonable counter... a counter that would likely have been accepted, had Saunders not been a better opponent

2) Saunders wisely bet on his own worth

3) Canelo wisely selected the best opponent, despite Smith being cheaper

and the only reason why Canelo/Golovkin III could possibly happen... is because Canelo wanted it to happen

no idea why people have been whining about any of this tbh...

* Saunders/Plant/Smith were all acceptable possibilities
        * the negotiation played out fine
        * Saunders is a excellent opponent

Comment

plus... apparently Canelo will fight a trilogy with Golovkin

IF Canelo fights next... Saunders > Golovkin > Benavidez... the haters will be rolling in their own faeces

Comment

I said on here many times from about the day after after he KOed Kovalev that Canelo was going to fight Saunders and nobody but Saunders. Murata,Jermall, Smith, Plant were never in the running. BS lowball offers for amounts no champion would accept may have been made to a few so Oscar could say he tried for Canelo to fight those guys but they were all afraid of Canelo. So Saunders demands 8 million and he gets it and the fight just as team Canelo wanted all the time.

Comment

I think Saunders is a more marketable fight. While both looked less than stellar in their last fights, BJS is coming off a KO win, Smith is coming off a ridiculously close fight with a huge underdog. However I do wonder if we are actually going to get the BJS fight...maybe they go straight to GGG 3 in Oct

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I said on here many times from about the day after after he KOed Kovalev that Canelo was going to fight Saunders and nobody but Saunders. Murata,Jermall, Smith, Plant were never in the running. BS lowball offers for amounts no champion would accept may have been made to a few so Oscar could say he tried for Canelo to fight those guys but they were all afraid of Canelo. So Saunders demands 8 million and he gets it and the fight just as team Canelo wanted all the time.
                With how thick your skull is I have to think your brain gets lil to no oxygen???

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  Oscar's MO is always the same...

publicly announce that he made (often) identical offers to numerous potential opponents... so that each of the opponents know that there is pressure to accept... so GBP can gain leverage

it looks to me like...

1) Smith either... wisely accepted the offer... or wisely negotiated a reasonable counter... a counter that would likely have been accepted, had Saunders not been a better opponent

2) Saunders wisely bet on his own worth

3) Canelo wisely selected the best opponent, despite Smith being cheaper

and the only reason why Canelo/Golovkin III could possibly happen... is because Canelo wanted it to happen

Yeah I remember when Oscar said live that he sent offers out and they were even overpaying as he criticized the opponents previous purses. Said they should just take the money and all they have to do is simply beat Canelo to earn even more!! Course there’s no precedent of negotiations working out like this in boxing. When has two opponents competing for the same fight ever driven the prices down?!! Prices only ever have been driven up. Everyone else links arms against the cash cow. The more anyone gets the more it helps everyone else down the road. I still don’t think Canelo wants the third fight vs GGG, I don’t blame him, it’s over according to him. If it’s another polarizing twelve rounds that doesn’t help anything. It’s being reported Canelo is asking for a premium on top of what his contract would pay to have a third GGG fight. It’s not surprising. I’d expect if everything works out in between, Canelo would be -250 or even -350.

Comment

Time to pull Callum out from under that bus.

Comment

Working...
                    X