No announcement yet.

Holyfield-Lewis in '98: Would it make a difference

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holyfield-Lewis in '98: Would it make a difference

What lead to Evander Holyfield's unimpressive performance vs Lewis in March 1999.

He was 36 years old, an age when a boxer is supposed to be past his prime.
    His fight with Henry Akinwande in June was cancelled, and fought an equally undeserving Vaughn Bean.
    10 months of not getting into the ring after the unification bout with Moorer in Nov '97 and prior to the Bean fight, Sept '98.

If only Boxing at that time ride on a momentum of big fights, Holyfield vs Lewis immediately for the undisputed Heavyweight title in the summer of 1998, after the four best heavyweights fought in the same period (Lewis-Golota, Holyfield-Moorer). Consider these:

Akinwande and Bean had their previous title shots and dont deserve a second chance, Shannon Briggs cant even beat a 48-years old George Foreman and Zelijko Mavrovic mysteriously jump into the WBC number 1 rankings.

Would a year earlier make a difference in the outcome of the Holyfield-Lewis first fight where the Real deal was lucky to salvage a gifted draw.
    Last edited by Emon723; 03-27-2011, 12:00 AM.

I still believe he won the second fight. He was taking it to Lewis & landing the bigger blows. He made the adjustments just like he had in the second Bowe fight. His last dominating performance was against Michael Moorer. He was really becoming unstoppable after he finished with both Mikes. He clearly started to lose that edge with The Bean fight & then Lewis. I don't think Lennox would've stood a chance against the Evander of The Tyson & Moorer fights where people were talking about him as a top 5 heavy alltime & a legend for what he had done to Tyson.

Comment

Holyfield never did to much after the Lewis fights. Holyfield was not at his strongest in 99 a year earlier would have helped him a little bit, in the first fight and the second.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy1569 View Post
        I still believe he won the second fight. He was taking it to Lewis & landing the bigger blows. He made the adjustments just like he had in the second Bowe fight. His last dominating performance was against Michael Moorer. He was really becoming unstoppable after he finished with both Mikes. He clearly started to lose that edge with The Bean fight & then Lewis. I don't think Lennox would've stood a chance against the Evander of The Tyson & Moorer fights where people were talking about him as a top 5 heavy alltime & a legend for what he had done to Tyson.
        i agree with you, Holy was robbed in the rematch with Lewis which is why he is determined to continue his quest to regain the title he feels he was unjustly robbed of

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
          i agree with you, Holy was robbed in the rematch with Lewis ...
          What on earth are you talking about? The word "robbed" implies Holyfield was four or five rounds ahead - perhaps more - and was the victim of a grossly unjust decision. I defy ANYONE to watch that bout and explain to me how Holyfield was miles ahead on the scorecards.

It's now come to the point where any decision, no matter how convincing, is counted as unquestionable evidence of corruption. Words and meaning have lost any semblance of connection.

I bet you believe they filmed the moon landings in a TV studio, too.

Comment

Holyfield coming off signature wins over Tyson and Moorer will went to the ring with Lewis far confident than the 1999 version, I was actually disappointed by the outcome of the Bean fight, Holy try to over impressed his hometown crowd in Atlanta, even raising his hand after he knock Bean down late in the 10th.

In some way, history was really kind to Lewis, not that im saying Tyson and Holyfield will beat him at their very best, but Lewis fought a shadow of their former selves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
              What on earth are you talking about? The word "robbed" implies Holyfield was four or five rounds ahead - perhaps more - and was the victim of a grossly unjust decision. I defy ANYONE to watch that bout and explain to me how Holyfield was miles ahead on the scorecards.

It's now come to the point where any decision, no matter how convincing, is counted as unquestionable evidence of corruption. Words and meaning have lost any semblance of connection.

i would not claim Holy won by four or five rounds but three clear rounds ahead is more my score of that fight with the word Robbed used to describe how Holy lost his title, i have watched the fight several times over the years and could never understand how Lennox was awarded the decision

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post

Haha well put,people dont seem too understand what the term 'robbed' means

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                  i would not claim Holy won by four or five rounds but three clear rounds ahead is more my score of that fight with the word Robbed used to describe how Holy lost his title, i have watched the fight several times over the years and could never understand how Lennox was awarded the decision

You're out of your mind. Jeff Fenech's defeat to Azumah Nelson in their first fight was unquestionably a "robbery". Robin Reid's decision loss to Sven Ottke was also a "robbery". Holyfield's loss to Lewis was a tight decision. I had Lewis ahead by a round, perhaps two. But I wouldn't have complained if it came out a draw because it was a fiercely contested bout. But a robbery? Not in a million years. The fact that you cannot understand why Lewis won says more about your understanding of boxing than the decision itself.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                    Haha well put,people dont seem too understand what the term 'robbed' means
                    I think if a boxer wins 7 or 8 rounds and his opponent is given the decision the boxer who won most of the rounds was robbed of the win. It is very hard to win two thirds of a fight against elite compitition. To have to win all but three rounds of a fight to get a decision is rediculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X