Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Kessler the number #1 168 Pounder Before fighting Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
    Before fighting Ward, Kessler was ranked #3 by both BoxRec and the IBO, behind Bute and Abraham on BoxRec, and behind Bute and Froch on the IBO's ratings. Lets face it, he hadn't done much since Calzaghe.

Boxrec and IBO rankings are based on a computerized system, not on opinion.

Comment

He was the clear cut favorite heading into the Super Six, and generally ranked number 1 at SMW by everybody. So I would say yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Calderownz... View Post
        Kessler has never come as close to losing as Bute had in the first fight with Andrade, until the Ward fight. After the ratings were naturally implied.
        Bute has steadily improved the past few years, while Kessler peaked in the two years before he was schooled by Joe Calzaghe.

Kessler at his best couldn't KO Andrade.
        Bute at his best succeeded in KOing Andrade.

Bute > Kessler.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
          Bute has steadily improved the past few years, while Kessler peaked in the two years before he was schooled by Joe Calzaghe.

Kessler at his best couldn't KO Andrade.
          Bute at his best succeeded in KOing Andrade.

Bute > Kessler.
          Lets say you're right about the fact that Kessler peaked at said time. Fine.

This, however, isn't p4p rankings. Therefore you don't go on; overall skill, drawing power; ability to move up or down..

You go based on the work you've done in that division. Period.

Bute almost lost to the guy that Kessler only needed one fight to school.

Kessler has fought 3 bigger names, two at the time of his number 1 ranking. Bute has only one mentionable name, and that was AFTER Kessler already beat him handily.

Kessler was a clear number one in the division.
          Last edited by THe TRiNiTY; 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Before tonight I had Bute as the best at 168. And, after tonight Bute confirmed it for me.

For people saying it is Ward cuz he beat Kessler and now you have to beat Ward to get that spot, well that is not true. This is not a championship we are debating. The championship is vacant at 168. This just rankings 1-10. You can take over the #1 spot without beating the #1 rank guy. rankings go by resume and what have you done for me lately. Bute has a better resume than Ward IMO. And, that is why I have Bute as the best SMW.

Comment

Lets say you're right about the fact that Kessler peaked at said time. Fine.

This, however, is p4p rankings. Therefore you don't go on; overall skill, drawing power; ability to move up or down..

You go based on the work you've done in that division. Period.

Bute almost lost to the guy that Kessler only needed one fight to school.

Kessler has fought 3 bigger names, two at the time of his number 1 ranking. Bute has only one mentionable name, and that was AFTER Kessler already beat him handily.

Kessler was a clear number one in the division.
              Bute was schooling Andrade the same way Kessler was. Bute stamina ran out and got dropped. He beat the count he was going to survive the round regardless. He schooled Andrade for 11 and half rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                Before tonight I had Bute as the best at 168. And, after tonight Bute confirmed it for me.

For people saying it is Ward cuz he beat Kessler and now you have to beat Ward to get that spot, well that is not true. This is not a championship we are debating. The championship is vacant at 168. This just rankings 1-10. You can take over the #1 spot without beating the #1 rank guy. rankings go by resume and what have you done for me lately. Bute has a better resume than Ward IMO. And, that is why I have Bute as the best SMW.
                How can you call yourself the #1 guy at 168 if you don't beat the man that beat the man?

Comment

At 168, Ward has virtually swept all rounds in both fights with Miranda and Kessler. That's two ranked or former ranked fighters. Guys who had fought Abraham and Calzaghe and faired alright, though Miranda got killed in the rematch. Nonetheless, both name guys and decent tests.

Bute has one SOLID win over a lower ranked Andrade and thats AFTER almost losing to the guy who got schooled by Kessler, whom Ward beat.

I don't see how people can say Bute is or should be ranked higher than Ward.

Both great fighters. I just hope they fight and settle it once and for all. Regardless, Ward takes the top spot, to me.

Comment

Bute was schooling Andrade the same way Kessler was. Bute stamina ran out and got dropped. He beat the count he was going to survive the round regardless. He schooled Andrade for 11 and half rounds.
                    And Kessler didn't get dropped and took it a half round better. That's still makes the win more impressive. Regardless of how you cut it.

Comment

At 168, Ward has virtually swept all rounds in both fights with Miranda and Kessler. That's two ranked or former ranked fighters. Guys who had fought Abraham and Calzaghe and faired alright, though Miranda got killed in the rematch. Nonetheless, both name guys and decent tests.

Bute has one SOLID win over a lower ranked Andrade and thats AFTER almost losing to the guy who got schooled by Kessler, whom Ward beat.

I don't see how people can say Bute is or should be ranked higher than Ward.

Both great fighters. I just hope they fight and settle it once and for all. Regardless, Ward takes the top spot, to me.
                      There's no denying Ward and Bute are 1 and 2. But I don't see how you can put Bute over the guy that DESTROYED the top guy in the division.

Comment

Working...
                      X