Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got the worst beating in sparring...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got the worst beating in sparring...

**** was rough. The dude outweighed me for about 20+ pounds and man did he beat the **** out of me. I think my coach got a little overconfident lol, i've been handling my own against much bigger sparmates from this gym so today we got in our last sparring session before my fight this friday.

Turns out non of the guys I usually spar with were around. We got overconfident and took on this dude who has more experience than me and had 20+ pounds on me and I payed the price. Got absolutely destroyed. Felt like I was fighting for my life. Dude was just too strong, I was able to block and duck most of his punches but could not really fire back because just trying to defend took a lot of energy. And if I traded punches I would have been ****ed.

Like I said I used to sparring/fighting bigger guys but I guess at some point the size difference becomes too much too handle. The only positive i got out from this is that I made it out alive and that the guy I am going to fight on friday won't be as strong.

I weigh 135 lbs and the dude i sparred was like 155.
    Last edited by johncods; 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM.

Learn from it, move on. People will occasionally get over on you in the gym, it happens, don't stress it.

Good luck friday, beat him like he stole something.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
      Learn from it, move on. People will occasionally get over on you in the gym, it happens, don't stress it.

Good luck friday, beat him like he stole something.
      Thanks man!

Comment

thats not such a huge difference in weight, considering you've probably cut weight to make your bouts weight limit.

what I'd do anytime that happened was to be sure to show up the next day to do it all again with the guy that got over on me. you should have a considerable advantage in speed, go out an get off on this guy first, work you speed and movement. Then start feinting and drawing him out then capitalize.

I was fighting at 147 and my trainer had no problem throwing me in with heavyweights. You gotta be sharp with your eyes, I found that the bigger that they were the slower that they were.

One day I come in to work and they tell me that I'm sparring with Dennis Andreas that day. I knew who he was because I watched Thomas Hearns take Andreas LightHeavyweight title at the Palace.

While it was an intense few rounds with him coming hard for me at times it was relatively easy, he just couldn't handle the speed. Rat-tat-tat and get the **** outta there, rat-tat-tat etc.

Being smaller is only bad if you allow it to be. You have to take your strengths over him and make them work for you...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          thats not such a huge difference in weight, considering you've probably cut weight to make your bouts weight limit.

what I'd do anytime that happened was to be sure to show up the next day to do it all again with the guy that got over on me. you should have a considerable advantage in speed, go out an get off on this guy first, work you speed and movement. Then start feinting and drawing him out then capitalize.

I was fighting at 147 and my trainer had no problem throwing me in with heavyweights. You gotta be sharp with your eyes, I found that the bigger that they were the slower that they were.

One day I come in to work and they tell me that I'm sparring with Dennis Andreas that day. I knew who he was because I watched Thomas Hearns take Andreas LightHeavyweight title at the Palace.

While it was an intense few rounds with him coming hard for me at times it was relatively easy, he just couldn't handle the speed. Rat-tat-tat and get the **** outta there, rat-tat-tat etc.

Being smaller is only bad if you allow it to be. You have to take your strengths over him and make them work for you...........Rockin'

Thanks rockin! Although i do believe I have decent speed the dude was no slow poke. Like I said I am 135 and he is 155 and in shape. He is the athletic type so there was little difference in speed. But the difference in strength was a different story.

I guess to illustrate it I was Floyd Mayweather and he was Andre Ward. He was bigger but he was not that much slower and he knew what to do. I learned that when both are equal in terms of ability the bigger guy wins.
          Last edited by johncods; 10-02-2012, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
            Thanks rockin! Although i do believe I have decent speed the dude was no slow poke. Like I said I am 135 and he is 155 and in shape. He is the athletic type so there was little difference in speed. But the difference in strength was a different story.

I guess to illustrate it I was Floyd Mayweather and he was Andre Ward. He was bigger but he was not that much slower and he knew what to do. I learned that when both are equal in terms of ability the bigger guy wins.
            heart becomes a huge factor, how bad do you want it? You will grow greatly fighting guys who are tough for you to handle at this time. In time you will learn and adapt. Fighting only with guys that you are better than can leave you stale.

I've been there. A guy tears into me one day and the next day I'm there again ready to do it all again with blackeyes and the inside of my mouth all torn up. In time you will grow as I did and you will one day be fighting on even ground with these guys that USED to beat you up.

It's a tough game no doubt. Look for this cat again after your bout, learn what it is that will beat him. Obviously its not pure strength that you need. Use your eyes and use your mind to out box this guy. Spar him ever chance that you can get..........Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 10-03-2012, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post

Absolutely, you can get away with sparring bigger guys when they are not as experienced as you. However, on even terms, bigger guys have the advantage. Don't give them that advantage. Lately, I've been sparring guys 15-20 lbs. heavier. However, I like it since I don't feel their power and so I know when I fight guys my own weight they will have even less of a punch. Also, it's messed up to fight a guy that much lighter than you...I would feel bad fighting someone 20 lbs. lighter. Good luck, though. You are a badass.
              It's good to have the mentality of "f*** it, let's do this."

Comment

i only spar bigger dudes at the gym because there are only 1-2 people around my weight that never show up and yeah it can **** you up hard

Comment

I know what you mean TS i've had my fair share of asswhoopings I think we all have... me being a 6ft5 light heavyweight and the only light heavyweight in the gym I tend to get matched up with the heavier guys. a lot of movement and being on the defence all the time is tiring but it's experience. you might come up against a guy so strong in future that you'll know how to handle him because of all the sparring you would of had with heavier guys. Stick with it you'll definitely get better I promise you

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
                    I know what you mean TS i've had my fair share of asswhoopings I think we all have... me being a 6ft5 light heavyweight and the only light heavyweight in the gym I tend to get matched up with the heavier guys. a lot of movement and being on the defence all the time is tiring but it's experience. you might come up against a guy so strong in future that you'll know how to handle him because of all the sparring you would of had with heavier guys. Stick with it you'll definitely get better I promise you
                    Thanks man. Yeah that's what I'm banking on too. I try to always look at the positives.

Comment

Working...
                    X