Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winky Wright vs Jermain Taylor 2, who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright vs Jermain Taylor 2, who would have won?

I just re-watched this fight last night and I came with the exact same conclusion. WHAT A DAMN FIGHT! Just what a damn fight. It wasn't even a slugfest but a TECHNICAL WAR! And not even a chess match but literally a technical war because they were throwing crisp straight punches but being active as hell.

They went at it! Probably the best middleweight title match in a LOOOONG time. Past Hopkins-Trinidad because that was too one sided. I didn't score the first fight but could understand how it was a draw because it was so back and forth. This time I came up with 115-114 for Taylor because I had the 11th round a 10-10 and 2 of the rounds I gave Winky I was thinking about making 10-10 as well.

It was so close and so hard to score. But damn they went at it! Just thought this fight deserved some praise. Winky should have went in on him in the last 2 rounds but gave the fight away like Oscar did by backing up. You gotta beat the champ to take the title. He let it skim right out of his hands.

Fight deserved a rematch. And it was damn good fight so they could have easily sold it. Damn shame it never happened. Maybe to revive both their careers maybe but I doubt it. How would that have went down if they did it again after that bangin' ass fight?

It's been a while, but from what I remember Winky wanted more money for a rematch. Or he wanted a 50/50 split, or something along those lines.

I would've favoured Wright in the rematch but not by much of a margin. It's a real shame that his career never really got back on track, what a waste.

Comment

I thought Winky won the first fight and would have won a 2nd fight.

Comment

Last time I saw the fight (Late 2010) I scored it 116-112 for Wright. He won that fight, but got the raw deal because (like Vargas), Taylor was a HBO Golden Boy who they had invested alot of money into and didn't want to see lose. There were close rounds, but if you ignore what the HBO cheerleaders are saying and watch closely, you see that Wright was pressing the fight and landing the cleaner, harder, more effective shots.

He didn't give away the last round, the HBO crew created that illusion. If you watch the round closely, you will see that Wright didn't throw much but still landed hard shots when he did throw. Taylor threw more but barely landed anything. He only landed a few body shots. Wright landed jabs, and a few hard straight left hands. And even if he did give away the last round, boxing is supposed to be scored round by round. If you watch the fight closely, you will see that he won most of the rounds.

It wasn't the worst "draw" I have ever seen, there should have been a rematch. But it didn't happen because Wright wanted a 50-50 split and Taylor wanted 60-40. 50-50 would have been fair, but understandably Lou DiBella didn't want Taylor to fight Wright again. He was even quoted as saying that. Wright would have done even better in a rematch. He was more skilled, versatile and just better than Jermain.

Comment

I gave it too Winky by one point if i remember rightly,it was a good fight but wasn't that good

Comment

I only watched it the once but unlike most i had TAYLOR winning (1 point up). A draw was ok with me tho, what i did find pathetic was Winkys little strop afterwards coz to me he was LUCKY to get a draw! Great fight tho

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
              I only watched it the once but unlike most i had TAYLOR winning (1 point up). A draw was ok with me tho, what i did find pathetic was Winkys little strop afterwards coz to me he was LUCKY to get a draw! Great fight tho
              I feel you on that. Some of those rounds I would hate to be the judges because you'd need to watch the round a couple times because one second Winky would be teein' off against the ropes then Taylor for fire back with 6-7 unanswered shots even if they didn't all land. Even the round where the HBO people said "that was probably the worst round we've ever seen Winky have" I still thought he won that round. It was crazy.

It's not an ATG fight like they weren't sluggin' it like Gatti-Ward but for a fight that was more technical crisp and clean, their was a lot of activity and the action was back and forth so it was a pretty damn good one on that level. Like if I were grading it I would rate the fight a B+.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                I feel you on that. Some of those rounds I would hate to be the judges because you'd need to watch the round a couple times because one second Winky would be teein' off against the ropes then Taylor for fire back with 6-7 unanswered shots even if they didn't all land. Even the round where the HBO people said "that was probably the worst round we've ever seen Winky have" I still thought he won that round. It was crazy.

It's not an ATG fight like they weren't sluggin' it like Gatti-Ward but for a fight that was more technical crisp and clean, their was a lot of activity and the action was back and forth so it was a pretty damn good one on that level. Like if I were grading it I would rate the fight a B+.
                B+ sounds about right to me, just a really good all round fight. Im going on memory here but i think even tho Wink had his earmuffs on Taylor was hitting with enough power that his shots still had eniough effect to score points, punching through the gaurd almost if u like. No ***** tho the judges earned their money that night, close fight with alot of close rounds!

Comment

hahaha and you love it when the judges get all nervous and put on the spot like that with those nail biters of close calls. Sometimes the decision be so bad your like "damn what the **** where they doin' all night to get that type of ridiculous rounds. The fool got knocked down and you gave him the round hahah.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                    hahaha and you love it when the judges get all nervous and put on the spot like that with those nail biters of close calls. Sometimes the decision be so bad your like "damn what the **** where they doin' all night to get that type of ridiculous rounds. The fool got knocked down and you gave him the round hahah.
                    That actually happened in a UK fight recently, it was ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X