This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    It is always going to be an out against City if they press like they do.

Your first goal game from a crap Navas cross that Cahill put in the top bin from about 8 yards in front of his near post. That is an accidental goal not hitting a top striker who has pinned a fairly ordinary centre back.

That goal you mentioned. I'll stick my neck out here and say that that exact goal is replicated to the absolute tee at some stage probably a few times.

Because you press the ball so high what else do you want teams to do? Especially if they have a powerful centre forward against Stones and Otamendi who can both be rag-dolled.

You can't view all goals against City as accidental.

Chelsea themselves will probably score the same goal against City again, ffs. If Morata has either Otamendi or Stones pinned you'd just hit that guy from 60 metres if there was nobody screening in front of him. Or would the alternative be a square pass to someone with Fernandinho, De Bruyne, and whoever buzzing around them. If they're there they are not somewhere else.

All systems have weaknesses. You refuse to acknowledge the weakness in Pep's style as if they are some decade-rolling champs, they came nowhere close last year.

Chelsea's weakness is that they will concede large amounts of possession and territory against any very good side, there is a weakness on the right side of the defence that can be exploited by crosses to the back post as Azpilicueta is small, as is Moses, and what's more Moses can't really head a football. Cahill and Luiz can both dwell on the ball and Cahill backs off too much. The goalkeeper himself can be beaten from range and it has happened often. Cesc can't run but he can pass, whereas both Bakayoko and Kante maybe can't hit the passes that he can turning over more possession.

Strengths obviously being in any scenario of broken play Chelsea are probably going to be the red arrows.
    I'm not saying Pep's system doesn't have any weaknesses. All systems do, as you said. But his style is proven to work more often than not, especially when faults aren't being magnified by immobile fullbacks. I'm not saying it's perfect but I'm asking why should Pep change it to accommodate for another team when a) the system works well despite it's few flaws and b) the new system will also have its faults and could potentially not work anywhere near as well as his normal philosophy? Seems daft not to go with what he knows works rather than abandon his principles and chance playing a completely different way.

Also, after pointing out that all systems have faults you've appeared to point out that Chelsea's only system faults are lack of possession?

Comment

• €65M according to BBC
      Last edited by Phenom; 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Good value on Costa there.

Also news on the lad Tammy Abraham is that he is gonna represent Nigeria? ...been hanging around Moses too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
          Did you watch those games? Should've scored about 6/7 in both games, even after the ghost red card given to Walker in the Everton game.

And yeah, slicing teams open. 52 passes the first goal last night, West Brom's first touch of the game was to pick the ball out the net.

Don't get what you mean by 'reverting to type'. We outplayed most top sides we faced last year. If that's our type then so be it.

Dirk... in blue.

Didn't Dirk post a similar thing about Arsenal's purely one-touch build up leading to a goal against Norwich or something?

Comment

I'm not saying Pep's system doesn't have any weaknesses. All systems do, as you said. But his style is proven to work more often than not, especially when faults aren't being magnified by immobile fullbacks. I'm not saying it's perfect but I'm asking why should Pep change it to accommodate for another team when a) the system works well despite it's few flaws and b) the new system will also have its faults and could potentially not work anywhere near as well as his normal philosophy? Seems daft not to go with what he knows works rather than abandon his principles and chance playing a completely different way.

Also, after pointing out that all systems have faults you've appeared to point out that Chelsea's only system faults are lack of possession?
            Not really I mentioned a fair few faults there really to do with personell which can't change. All our players are good. But only Messi is perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Dirk... in blue.

Didn't Dirk post a similar thing about Arsenal's purely one-touch build up leading to a goal against Norwich or something?
              Haven't seen anything of City this season (why would i)

But Pep and Wenger have this notion that you need to pass it 30-50 times to score a goal and so far neither has adapted over the years.. while on the other hand teams like Chelsea worked out how to beat that style and the rest of the league/europe followed..

Lets be honest Pep failed badly at Bayern.. they should have won the CL at least once in his 3 years

Maybe he has changed City from his regular sides but while 50 touch goals are kinda nice.. De Gea smashing it up to Fellani for a knockdown to Lukaku is just as effective

If City aren't able to score those type of goals they wont win the league

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Dirk... in blue.

No idea. Am I not allowed to talk about what I deem to be high quality football cos someone else did about 4 years ago?

Dirk was a horrendously bias reviewer of the game. Go back through my posts and you'll see that I'm pretty fair and complementary towards other teams. Maybe I appear bias to you because most times I come on here I see you've posted something regarding City that I find ridiculous so I feel the need to pull you up on it.

Few weeks ago you were saying Shawcross would've been a better signing for City than John Stones ffs. You don't have to be bias to point out that you're talking out your arse at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
                  Haven't seen anything of City this season (why would i)

But Pep and Wenger have this notion that you need to pass it 30-50 times to score a goal and so far neither has adapted over the years.. while on the other hand teams like Chelsea worked out how to beat that style and the rest of the league/europe followed..

Lets be honest Pep failed badly at Bayern.. they should have won the CL at least once in his 3 years

Maybe he has changed City from his regular sides but while 50 touch goals are kinda nice.. De Gea smashing it up to Fellani for a knockdown to Lukaku is just as effective

If City aren't able to score those type of goals they wont win the league
                  You haven't watched any of City? I'd presume you didn't see a lot of Pep's Bayern then?

The quotes are there and the consensus seems to be that everyone improved under him. I imagine you'd hear much the same from the City camp.

Comment

• I saw alot of Bayern in Europe and they were a far cry from the fast paced dynamic side that got robbed vs Chelsea in the final and won the treble the following year

Pep turned them into Barca lite at least in Europe.. the bundersliga is a minor trophy with no competition

City for all the money spent last year were no closer to winning the league then the previous season. If City win the league easily this year i will change my opinion

But so far Pep has been average outside of a few years at Barca were he had the 3 best players in the world + a bunch of other world class footballers
                    Last edited by MOTHERDUCKER; 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

You haven't watched any of City? I'd presume you didn't see a lot of Pep's Bayern then?

The quotes are there and the consensus seems to be that everyone improved under him. I imagine you'd hear much the same from the City camp.

Isn't this all fall out from Lewandowski angling for a move?

I'd take some of that with a pinch of salt. Agents creating a narrative to allow an exit.

The reason why Bayern aren't as good is more basic. Their best players have got older and the don't match the spending of Chelsea, let alone City, Man U, Barca, and Real Madrid.

Honigstein going for Ancelotti seems a bit snakey.
                      Last edited by Sparked_26; 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X