No announcement yet.

Mark Epton???????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Epton???????

This guy went to the Olympic games, was unbeaten as a pro and then just reitred? any1 know why?

thanks

Mark Epton was a world class amature, he was the British amature champion 3times and England captian. he had turend professional and had won six out of six, and was preparing to challage the Britiish and European Flyweight Champion Pat Clinton. Epton would be getting a purse of £18,000

All was going well, until he met a 16 year old amature called Naseem Hamed. Eptons team wanted to do some sparring with Hamed, it was a risky move, Hamed would be sparring a top class professional in full training for a European title fight. Anyway Bredan Ingle agreed to it.

The first time they sparred Naz had already trained a hour and had already sparred. Hamed and Epton done 3 rounds and Hamed had the better of it and hurt Epton. After the spar Epton but on a brave face and went to hit the bag.

Epton's trainer Wilf Swindles asked if they could do some more sparring the next day. Bredan said no problem. When Epton and Wilf went out of the door, Bredan grabbed Hamed and said Eptons coming back tomorrow. He's going to try and slaughter you''

The next night the ring was surrounded by the regulars. Even with headgurads and sparring gloves, it would be a real fight, a test of Naseem. When the sparred started Hamed never one to wait, attackted from the first, he hurt Epton to the body, opened a cut near his eye despite the headguard, split his nose, bashed him up and did a job on him. He took his beating for 6 rounds.

When it was over Bredan towelled down Naseem and unlaced his gloves, ''You've finished his career. He won't box again'' said Bredan

After taking a shower, Epton admitted to John Ingle son of Bredan, if he cound't beat a kid of sixteen, then what was the point? He wasn't paid his £18,000. Still unbeaten as a Pro, Epton retired from boxing.

And that is the story of Mark Epton's Retirement.
    Last edited by VintageBoxing_1; 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

wow, great post man! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by VintageBoxing_1 View Post
        Mark Epton was a world class amature, he was the British amature champion 3times and England captian. he had turend professional and had won six out of six, and was preparing to challage the Britiish and European Flyweight Champion Pat Clinton. Epton would be getting a purse of £18,000

All was going well, until he met a 16 year old amature called Naseem Hamed. Eptons team wanted to do some sparring with Hamed, it was a risky move, Hamed would be sparring a top class professional in full training for a European title fight. Anyway Bredan Ingle agreed to it.

The first time they sparred Naz had already trained a hour and had already sparred. Hamed and Epton done 3 rounds and Hamed had the better of it and hurt Epton. After the spar Epton but on a brave face and went to hit the bag.

Epton's trainer Wilf Swindles asked if they could do some more sparring the next day. Bredan said no problem. When Epton and Wilf went out of the door, Bredan grabbed Hamed and said Eptons coming back tomorrow. He's gping to try and slaughter you''

The next night the ring was surrounded by the regulars. Even with headgurads and sparring gloves, it would be a real fight, a test of Naseem. When the sparred started Hamed never one to wait, attackted from the first, he hurt Epton to the body, opened a cut near his eye despite the headguard, split his nose, bashed him up and did a job on him. He took his beating for 6 rounds.

When it was over Bredan towelled down Naseem and unlaced his gloves, ''You've finished his career. He won't box again'' said Bredan

After taking a shower, Epton admitted to John Ingle son of Bredan, if he cound't beat a kid of sixteen, then what was the point? He wasn't paid his £18,000. Still unbeaten as a Pro, Epto retired from boxing.

And that is the story of Mark Epton's Retirement.
        I had never heard that before. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
          wow, great post man! thanks!
          Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I had never heard that before. Thank you.
          No Problem

Comment

more poster's should read vintageboxing_1's number #2 post, great read!

Comment

Kind of reminds me of Sugar Ray Robinson vs George Costner... here is a small excerpt of their meeting..

Costner was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and started his career In 1950, Costner fought Sugar Ray Robinson for the middleweight title. Costner, by the time had taken to calling himself "Sugar" and stated in the weeks leading up to the fight that he was the rightful deserver of the name. However, Robinson, who is widely considered one of the greatest fighters in history disagreed. "We better touch gloves, because this is the only round," Robinson said as the fighters were introduced at the center of the ring. "Your name ain't Sugar, mine is." Robinson then knocked Costner out in 2 minutes and 49 seconds.. Afterward, Robinson reportedly told Costner, "now go out and earn yourself the name." In his next fight Costner fought future Hall of Famer Kid Gavilan, and won in a controversial 10 round decision. After two more fights, Costner retired in 1950 with a 73–10–5 record.

Comment

I have never heard such a load of rubish in my life, pure fiction ! Fact !!

Comment

I am infact Marks Wife and you have never heard this before, because this never happen my friend. This is infact a fictional story taken from Brendan Ingle's Book. I can assure you, whilst I do not wish to get into our private life, it absolutely had no bearing on the reasons my husband retired.

AND THAT DEFIANTLY IS NOT THE STORY OF MARK EPTON'S RETIREMENT

Comment

I am infact Marks Wife and you have never heard this before, because this never happen my friend. This is infact a fictional story taken from Brendan Ingle's Book. I can assure you, whilst I do not wish to get into our private life, it absolutely had no bearing on the reasons my husband retired.

AND THAT DEFIANTLY IS NOT THE STORY OF MARK EPTON'S RETIREMENT

Comment

Working...
                    X