No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Comeback Of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Comeback Of the Year

By Jake Donovan - It seems that Daniel Jacobs has been forced to spend the prime years of his career overcoming adversity. His most recent triumphs – which extend far beyond the ring – go a long way in rewarding him with 2012 Comeback of the Year honors.

Two years ago, Jacobs was an unbeaten middleweight who was a win away from realizing his dream of capturing a major title. In the days leading up to his vacant title fight with Dmitry Pirog, a different kind of obstacle stood before him – contending with the loss of his grandmother and caretaker.

Jacobs vowed an uplifting performance in his grandmother’s honor, but instead suffered the first loss of his career when Pirog iced him in five rounds.

It was unclear where his career would go from there, but the Brooklynite remained upbeat. Two wins followed, both taking place off-camera and against sub .500 competition. Not much was thought of the comeback following his second win in March ’11.

More attention was paid to his career two months later, though for reasons that had nothing to do with his in-ring progress. Jacobs was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, an aggressive form of cancer, after a tumor was discovered on his spine. Multiple surgeries were required to remove all remains of the tumor, but left him weakened and unable to walk.

“I remember feeling a weakness in my legs. It felt like they were on pins and needles,” Jacobs recalled of his condition at the time. [Click Here To Read More]

Surprised to see no mention of Brian Viloria, who I thought was the obvious choice here or Carl Froch.

Comment

Carl Froch definitely could have won this award with the huge win over Bute and destruction of Mack to get him back to the top. Danny Jacobs comeback from circumstances outside of the ring were remarkable but what he did inside the ropes hardly deserves comeback of the year honors. He fought 2 fighters that shouldn't be on espn much less showtime and i just don't think that's enough. Same with Angulo the competition he faced just wasn't strong enough. Froch should have got the nod IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        Surprised to see no mention of Brian Viloria, who I thought was the obvious choice here or Carl Froch.
        If Viloria is your obvious choice, then you didn't at all pay attention to his 2011 campaign or our 2011 Awards series. Viloria beat Miranda and Segura in 2011 to land in our Comeback AND Fighter of the Year categories. So I ask, what exactly did he come back from that was so detrimental in 2011?

Froch? Same question applies. He was a win away from landing Fighter of the Year honors last year. How does that warrant a comeback campaign this year?

Comment

there are a few others, all speculative...Happy 2013 2 every1 on the site that paticipates, a happy and safe year....

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
            If Viloria is your obvious choice, then you didn't at all pay attention to his 2011 campaign or our 2011 Awards series. Viloria beat Miranda and Segura in 2011 to land in our Comeback AND Fighter of the Year categories. So I ask, what exactly did he come back from that was so detrimental in 2011?

Froch? Same question applies. He was a win away from landing Fighter of the Year honors last year. How does that warrant a comeback campaign this year?
            I had thought Viloria had beaten Segura in 2012. I guess I stand corrected. As for Froch he had what most considered to be a bad, one sided loss to Ward, although my scorecard was more in line with the judges. Few gave him a real chance to upset Bute but he did while showing better form than he ever has. That warrants comeback of the year considerations to me because after losing to Ward and at 35 I think a lot of people felt that may have been the end of the road for Carl.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              I had thought Viloria had beaten Segura in 2012. I guess I stand corrected. As for Froch he had what most considered to be a bad, one sided loss to Ward, although my scorecard was more in line with the judges. Few gave him a real chance to upset Bute but he did while showing better form than he ever has. That warrants comeback of the year considerations to me because after losing to Ward and at 35 I think a lot of people felt that may have been the end of the road for Carl.
              We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I didn't find anything career-damaging in Froch's loss to Ward, nor do I recall dismissing Froch in the manner in which you suggest.

Comment

Working...
              X