View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,089,246.27
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Hi again Mercedes,

I knew Tae Kwon Do is a kicks based martial art, but is that right......are no punches taught at all? I thought the basic punches were taught. I came from a Kung Fu background, where all manner of strikes, holds and throws are used.

Is grappling used much in Tae Kwon Do too? I'm suprised that you mentioned a concern over grabbing in close by a Tae Kwon Do student.

In sparring against an orthodox stance martial arts student, I tended to find that adopting a southpaw stance served me very well. Honestly, 99% of the time the first move my opponent would make was the left lead roundhouse to either my leg, chest or head. Its so tempting for them, possibly out of habit, possibly because my lead leg was closer to their lead foot and seemed open to a roundhouse to the back of my leg.

It was so easy to counter! Most left lead kicks in my experience were not particularly powerful and so much slower than a jab that I had no problem in blocking/avoiding them and immediately stepping in with a double jab cross combination.

Avoiding their right kicks wasn't too much trouble too as I feel natural as a southpaw in moving to my right. You'd know if a right kick was coming because the opponent would twist their body near 180 degrees in some cases! Ha ha
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote