View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,089,277.59
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Ha ha, it was actually boxing that got me out of martial arts!

In Kung Fu sparring I found it comfortable to fight at a distance, use my kicks etc. But the first time I came across someone who could close the distance and use his hands/punches well it completely changed my way of thinking. Its much more intimidating to have someone that close firing off fast punches. Its easy to block/dodge a kick from a few feet away. Punches close in to many martial artists are very uncomfortable to prepare for.

Watch out for leg sweeps and knees when working your way in, use good footwork and keep distance to a minimum if you can. When you are inside, you can really take advantage of the often open martial arts guards and fire in all manner of hooks and uppercuts without the fear of shipping a roundhouse kick in return.

It can be easier said than done with a decent martial arts exponent. But the better your boxing becomes, the better you'll be able to deal with a martial artist.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote