No announcement yet.

My boxing club.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boxing club.

At my boxing club all they do is tell us what to do as a group... they say to do the warm up and everything.. but when we get on the bags they dont even help us! they dont go up to anybody and tel then what there doing wrong or anything... am i training at the wrong place?

Probably. But the best way to see if its a good gym is to see your trainers credentials, has he trained any golden gloves winners? any state or regional champions? do his fighters usually win against decent opponents?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordee-G View Post
      At my boxing club all they do is tell us what to do as a group... they say to do the warm up and everything.. but when we get on the bags they dont even help us! they dont go up to anybody and tel then what there doing wrong or anything... am i training at the wrong place?
      Yes, is your gym an MMA that offers boxing/Muay Thai, etc ?

There's a reason why they are train-ers. What's the name of your gym?

Unfortunately, majority of gyms today are exactly how you describe yours. No wonder American fighters have crap technique. We hear it all the time, they don't make 'em like they use to. The focus is no longer about teaching a craft, it's just about taking your $$$. There are less and less good coaches these days, as far as boxing is concerned in N. America.

The best coach I ever had trained me in his garage. It was just me and a few guys, we would clean house in the tournaments. The thing with my coach was, he didn't need the $$$ from teaching, he just loved teaching boxing and other types of martial arts, and he just wanted to prove to the other schools that his method was better than the rest, alot of times he was right.

There was really no big secret with my coach's ways of teaching, he kept it simple, that was the key and when he was teaching at the gym, he would make the amateur fighters stay afterhours, so, we were actually training 2hrs, instead of the avg 1 hr training session. Most importantly he was hands-on and had alot of patience with his students, he understood that not every one learned at the same speed.
      Last edited by We want Floyd; 09-22-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Its just called "trinidad boys club" and theres 2 rooms 1 with bags and 1 with a ring pretty cheap tbh its in ***** land lol

Comment

it seems like a good gym to me

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
            it seems like a good gym to me
            Hah you joking?

Comment

if you have recently joined its more than likely they wont say anything to you or help you yet till they see that youre showing dedication, attendance and hard work, for a trainer its a waste of time training someone whose not gonna be there for the long run. stick it out

Comment

Originally posted by 20a87 View Post
                if you have recently joined its more than likely they wont say anything to you or help you yet till they see that youre showing dedication, attendance and hard work, for a trainer its a waste of time training someone whose not gonna be there for the long run. stick it out
                Ive been there 6 months

Comment

i am considering joining,i have been looking for a club like that for a while and the personal seem like helpful skilled people

Comment

Yeah probably. At our gym they come around, they don't come up and say "do this, do this" but we all do at least one pads session and if someone's in the ring then they come and hold the bag and call out punches, so basically they do pads with the bag. Most of the proper technical stuff comes after sparring because the bag work and sparring are two different things. Someone can be Mike Tyson on the bag but the milky bar kid in the ring. But if your coaches aren't teaching you the basics I don't know how they expect you to spar which is a 1000x harder. Teaching you via sparring is a **** idea, they should be teaching you and then refining your skills through sparring.

Anyway, just go and ask them a question. If you're having trouble, ask them. If you're too shy or afraid to ask somebody how to throw a punch then you don't have the confidence to be a boxer anyway. Honestly, just ask them, they wont care about helping you.

Comment

Working...
                    X