Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelson vs McGuigan-why did it never happen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson vs McGuigan-why did it never happen?

I just read that Azumah Nelson wanted to fight Barry McGuigan after he knocked out Pat Cowdell. But they never got to fight eachother. What was the issue?

probably the loss the cruz then the loss to mcdonell

Comment

She is a girl.

Comment

the reason they never fought was because Barry was a serious money maker for his handlers, and his handlers knew Nelson was worlds better in every part of the game. Remember these type of people never have the best interest of the sport in mind. Barry was a tough SOB, but Nelson was an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          I just read that Azumah Nelson wanted to fight Barry McGuigan after he knocked out Pat Cowdell. But they never got to fight eachother. What was the issue?
          I think Battling Nelson was dead by then,..... if he wasn't, age would have been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            I think Battling Nelson was dead by then,..... if he wasn't, age would have been a problem.
            Har har, not very funny. I said clearly it was AZUMAH.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
              the reason they never fought was because Barry was a serious money maker for his handlers, and his handlers knew Nelson was worlds better in every part of the game. Remember these type of people never have the best interest of the sport in mind. Barry was a tough SOB, but Nelson was an ATG.
              Co-sign.

Barry was a very good and exciting fighter, with an incredible story (the uniting of Ireland) to his fights. The networks loved him, and there's no way they'd have risked that by matching with the obviously superior, yet less marketable, Azumah.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                Har har, not very funny. I said clearly it was AZUMAH.
                I know,...... but you know I just couldn't resist the temptation..... Seriously, AZUMAH whips Barry all the way from Ghana to Ireland.

Comment

Haha it would've been a decent fight. McGuigan is underrated but Nelson would have won. I actually know Nelson's nephew.

Comment

Azumah Nelson would have buried McGuigan, no pun intended. Besides the fact that Nelson could box his power would have been way too much for McGuigan to handle.........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X