No announcement yet.

Mental Block

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Block

Ok, so for those of you who compete i need a little help here.

First off, let me inform you that i compete in MMA and not boxing. But the reason why i come and ask you guys this is because they are both combat sports and even though they're so different, when it comes to the mental aspct, they're both extremely similar. Which is the subject i need some help on. So this isn't a MMA vs. Boxing thread, anyone who competes in any combat sport knows that it's a lot more mental than physical, so let's not get into that and just talk from one fighter to another.

Ok, so here i go. Last July i had my first fight after about 2 and a helf weeks of training. Well, i was out of shape fighting at a weight class too high for someone my size and i got my ass kicked. He dropped me in the first and the ref stopped the match.

But since then I've had this problem. I'm back as school now so i'm not training until January because i go to school 3 and a half hours away with no transportation. Anyways, for those last 3 weeks or so i was at the gym before leaving i got real gunshy, and all of a sudden i felt afraid. In sparring or just in practice when someone would throw a punch i would just cover up and throw one back then cover up again, i got scared to get hit. Nowadays i find it a little tougher to even watch a fight ya know. So i feel like i got this mental block from that that's kinda ****in with me. The good thing is that whenever i get those feelings of fear, there's another voice that tells me to not be afraid, that it was just 1 small match, and next time i'll be on weight and 10 times better than i was that night.

But knowing that this forum is full of competing boxers can anyone gimme any advice? How can i get over this hurtle?

You must have a ****ty coach if he put you in a fight against a bigger opponent when you are out of shape after only two weeks of training.

Comment

Mental variables are untrainable. They are coded into your induvidual personality at a very young age, after age sixteen or so you basically 'are who you are' ...ie if you're letting guys off the hook sparring it's because you didn't have a dirt floor, etc. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but think about it. Mentally, you don't think guys from poor parts of town are better prepared to go through hell to win? It only makes sense.

Comment

sure you can train a menal strength, but fight after 2 weeks training, too low

Comment

Originally posted by RightHooker View Post
          You must have a ****ty coach if he put you in a fight against a bigger opponent when you are out of shape after only two weeks of training.
          he's actually a real good coach, but he threw me into this match as more of an "introduction to the sport". I told him i didn't feel ready and he said "that's what these kind of matches are for"

so eh, least i know what it's like to compete.

Comment

i think you just do not have what it takes to be a fighter,you lack a good jaw you cover up like a turtle,and you want to be a fighter,come on just get into another sport the fight game is not for everyone,i suggest you try a non contact sport,cycling is good and fishing can be very relaxing

Comment

Working...
            X