No announcement yet.

Steve Collins = Over rated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Collins = Over rated?

Besides beating a washed up benn and eubank, he lost all his other big fights, and avoided joe calzaghe and herol graham

yes definately overrated

Comment

Eubank was undefeated coming into the first fight and Collins clearly out-boxed him. Not to mention he dominated him in the second.

A fight with Benn offered him a huge payday and it was the biggest fight in the division, at the time, other than Jones (who Benn couldn't get a fight with).

He never ducked Graham, because Graham was never in any position to fight for the title, while Collins was champion. The only time Graham became relevant in the super middleweight division was when he beat an undefeated Chris Johnson and that was a week after Collins' last fight.

A few years after Collins retired, he was getting ready to have a comeback fight against Calzaghe but fainted while sparring in the gym. The doctors advised him to hang up the gloves for good and he did.

Comment

I had Eubank beating him both times. He was past it but still near elite. Benn on the other hand was a B fighter at that point.

I can't say the man is over rated though cuz I don't see him rated....boxrec does not count. But his MW opposition was clearly superior to his SMW opposition, all things considered. And @ MW he walked away with an L in his 3 biggest fights. Can't say he deserved to lose to Kalambay but I had him losing to both Body Snatcher and Sweet Reggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          I had Eubank beating him both times. He was past it but still near elite. Benn on the other hand was a B fighter at that point.

I can't say the man is over rated though cuz I don't see him rated....boxrec does not count. But his MW opposition was clearly superior to his SMW opposition, all things considered. And @ MW he walked away with an L in his 3 biggest fights. Can't say he deserved to lose to Kalambay but I had him losing to both Body Snatcher and Sweet Reggie.
          you should watch the fights again (at least the rematch, it was a shut-out, have no idea how you could score it for Eubank)

Comment

who rates the guy that high in the first place ?????????????

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
              you should watch the fights again (at least the rematch, it was a shut-out, have no idea how you could score it for Eubank)
              The rematch was the fight more people thought Eubank won....including one of the judges.

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
                who rates the guy that high in the first place ?????????????
                That's what I was wondering.

Comment

I think Collins was in the right place at the right time basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    I think Collins was in the right place at the right time basically.
                    I remember him aggressively calling out Roy Jones. Collins was a real solid fighter, but nobody thought he had a chance to beat Roy at 168.

Comment

Working...
                    X