Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Chavez Jr. raise his stock last night???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Chavez Jr. raise his stock last night???

Didnt see a thread posted bout this, so I figured I'd make one.

Discuss your thoughts on if you think JCC Jr. indeed raise his stock last night or did Rubio just come in with the wrong game plan? Rubio seemed to suffer from having the wrong game plan, plus he looked flat. JCC Jr. didnt impress but he did look solid. Your thoughts????????
    Yes. I was impressed.
    35.71%
    No. He's still a bum.
    16.07%
    Meh. Maybe, but he needs to fight stiffer comp.
    46.43%
    IDK. Someone reads and posts for me as I only understand grunting sounds and pictures, so ask them.
    1.79%

Chavez Jr did look like a solid fighter last night. I still don't think it was a stunning performance by any means but it was still a good performance against a tougher opponent.

Rubio didn't really look good though, no sting in his punches. One thing I did notice during the fight was the consistency Rubio had with the uppercut when Chavez went head to head with Rubio.

Solid fight but didn't prove he would beat Martinez or whatever.

Comment

I voted meh. Good matchmaking in this case, as Rubio had no way to deal with Chavez's size. Still, slowly but surely he's stepping up and I won't hate. He better hope he can keep making 160 though, can't see him having much success moving up, not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Chavez Jr did look like a solid fighter last night. I still don't think it was a stunning performance by any means but it was still a good performance against a tougher opponent.

Rubio didn't really look good though, no sting in his punches. One thing I did notice during the fight was the consistency Rubio had with the uppercut when Chavez went head to head with Rubio.

Solid fight but didn't prove he would beat Martinez or whatever.
        Im with you BB. JCC Jr. look like a solid fighter last night, and made a serious effort to mix up his attack(body attack, and setting traps to go upstairs), but it was just that........A solid performance, nothing made me go wow.

But Rubio looked very flat from what I've seen from him previously(he's notorious for starting slow, but it never seemed as though he ever started). Those upper cuts where finding a home, but I put that on Chavez leaning in trying to find his inside game. He took it away once he started boxing from the outside.

I like how both men tried to leave it all in the ring in the final round though.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          I voted meh. Good matchmaking in this case, as Rubio had no way to deal with Chavez's size. Still, slowly but surely he's stepping up and I won't hate. He better hope he can keep making 160 though, can't see him having much success moving up, not right now.
          It was somewhat of a risk, cause Rubio has proven he can bang. So I give JCC Jr. credit for subtle defense and a good chin. On tape Rubio was spossed to be slightly bigger, but lookin at them in the ring it did seem as though JC2 was the bigger and much stronger fighter of the two.

I agree though. I dont think that he can hang at SMW. I know AA was talkin bout movin back down to MW, I'd like to see those two mix it up if possible.

Comment

Not so much.
            He has a legit win on his record.
            Not sure why but the size difference seemed much bigger than the scales suggested to me. I think Rubio was 10lbs lighter? Chavez looked massive. Rubio must have been tired as hell with all that weight leaning on him the whole fight.
            I thought he protected his body well though. Too much lean in his stance at times, he was open for the uppercut.

Rubio was just plain ineffective.

Comment

I'll say he raised his stock a bit. No, the performance wasn't amazing but what it did for him was solidify his spot in boxing fans eyes as a legit world title contender. IMO, this actually occurred in the Manfredo fight. For the longest time I scoffed at the thought of JCC jr's chances against the best and then he went out and put on the performance of his career but that didn't satisfy a lot of people(people viewed Manfredo as way past it), but I feel last night certainly put a lot of doubt away. Rubio isn't world class but he is just a clip under it. Chavez now is looked at as a legit fighter and that's saying a lot for where he was at in his career a year ago.

Right now I view JCC jr on the same level as Alvarez. Both have a chance and both are right there, ready to take on the very best in the division. It's time to see what both of em truly have.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
                It was somewhat of a risk, cause Rubio has proven he can bang. So I give JCC Jr. credit for subtle defense and a good chin. On tape Rubio was spossed to be slightly bigger, but lookin at them in the ring it did seem as though JC2 was the bigger and much stronger fighter of the two.

I agree though. I dont think that he can hang at SMW. I know AA was talkin bout movin back down to MW, I'd like to see those two mix it up if possible.
                Chavez Jr. would kill Abraham IMO. He's so much bigger, he'd be on him messing him up all fight.

Comment

IMO he did ..... He's fighting better opponents, he's improving and he can be fan friendly at times.

Comment

i voted yes with a disclaimer

if you had told me that chavez would be this good years ago, when he first started fighting on BS top rank PPV and the like against bums at lower weights, i wouldn't believe you

the kid is improving. there's plenty of room for it, certainly. it's not out of the question that he will continue to get better every time he fights. i am noticing marked improvements.
                    this also kaiboshes the notion that a freddie roach fighter cant fight inside. jr gets in there without a jab and can find space to land body punches.

he needs to start eating and living like a fighter year round and do his best to stay at 160. the guys at 168 are bigger and frankly they're just better than he is.

i dont think he will ever be anything special, but he's getting better every time he fights. he's got some stuff you cant teach. a good chin, and a hard left hook to the liver. that's a recipe for an exciting fighter.

eventually i want to see him fight canelo. two years from now. 164-5 lbs
                    it would not only be a massive event, it would probably be a classic fight if they showed up to scrap

canelo isnt a small guy himself, he's the superior boxer, and eventually he's going to fill out into a MW

Comment

Working...
                    X