Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Teofimo Lopez vs. Masayoshi Nakatani IBF Eliminator, July 19

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPDKSAB View Post
    Damn so Lopez not fighting Commey in July I wonder how he feels about that.

I guess we not getting Loma-Lopez..
    Lopez already knew Commey wouldn't fight him in June, but the eliminator makes sure that Commey will have to choose between Loma (unification) and Teo (mandatory - assuming he wins), which ensures Loma v Commey happens as if he tries to back out, he backs into Teo.

Commey could avoid Loma by scheduling a unification with winner Campbell/Haney (if that fight happens), but Commeys money fight is Loma, so this eliminator makes sure it happens.

Assuming Teo wins the eliminator, Commey fights Loma earliest Sep, then very earliest Loma v Teo could happen is Dec, and he's already said he doubts he can make 135 by then.

More likely things stretch out a bit longer than that timeline, eg Sept is the earliest possible date for Loma assuming everything goes perfectly with the recovery from the hand injury - it might not, so Commey v Loma might be later in the year, pushing Teo into 2020 where he won't be able to make 135 any more.

Reason Teo might not take the Nakatani fight.

Comment

So who is going to fight Commey first, Lopez or Lomachenko?

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
        Lopez already knew Commey wouldn't fight him in June, but the eliminator makes sure that Commey will have to choose between Loma (unification) and Teo (mandatory - assuming he wins), which ensures Loma v Commey happens as if he tries to back out, he backs into Teo.

Commey could avoid Loma by scheduling a unification with winner Campbell/Haney (if that fight happens), but Commeys money fight is Loma, so this eliminator makes sure it happens.

Assuming Teo wins the eliminator, Commey fights Loma earliest Sep, then very earliest Loma v Teo could happen is Dec, and he's already said he doubts he can make 135 by then.

More likely things stretch out a bit longer than that timeline, eg Sept is the earliest possible date for Loma assuming everything goes perfectly with the recovery from the hand injury - it might not, so Commey v Loma might be later in the year, pushing Teo into 2020 where he won't be able to make 135 any more.

Great analysis! Both Commey and Lomachenko have hand injuries, so I think Lopez will never see Lomachenko! In that case, he should move up now, and stop trying to starve himself! Plus he could position himself for Ramirez or Prograis for 2020!

Comment

So at 135 it looks like Haney vs Campbell for the WBC (unless Abdullaev squeezes back in) and Lopez on the IBF route. I suspect the plan is to put Lopez on an October ESPN card vs Commey, with a Super Bowl weekend PPV unification vs Loma.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Sharp View Post
            I can already see it. Lopez curbstomps Nakatani in July and beats Commey to win the IBF title in September. He'll probably makes a single defense against a typical Top Rank nobody before vacating the belt to move to 140.
            The IBF then sanctions a vacant title fight between 42 (soon to be 43) year old Emiliano Marsili and George Kambosos with the winner getting fed to Loma. Jose Ramirez then conveniently moves to 147 and vacates his WBC 140 title so Lopez can fight some pushover for it.
            man, i wish i could disagree, but that seems awful likely!

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post

man i do appreciate a thorough, digestible, well thought out post like this.

Comment

No Loma vs Lopez

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
                  No Loma vs Lopez
                  In this scenario, Loma vs lopez takes place when Lopez takes on this eliminator and beats Commey as the mandatory.

I think that’s fair enough to have a Loma shot. It will be a unification too as an incentive

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ual Fan View Post
                    In this scenario, Loma vs lopez takes place when Lopez takes on this eliminator and beats Commey as the mandatory.

I think that’s fair enough to have a Loma shot. It will be a unification too as an incentive
                    How is it fair when Lopez made it clear that he won’t be able to make 135 anymore by the end of the year?

He said he wants title shot now then Loma next!

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
                      How is it fair when Lopez made it clear that he won’t be able to make 135 anymore by the end of the year?

He said he wants title shot now then Loma next!
                      He’s not gonna get it his own way. He doesn’t call the shots

Comment

Working...
                      X