No announcement yet.

New To Boxing- Hows My Routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Boxing- Hows My Routine

So I started boxing training last mid week and this is currently what Im doing at my gym which has a heavy, speed and slip bag in its cardio room.

5 minutes shadowboxing (half with 3 pound dumbbells0
    10 minutes skipping rope
    10 minutes speed bag
    10 minutes slip bag
    10 minutes heavy bag
    sparring with friends (not at same time though as they dont go to my gym)
    5 minutes shadowboxing to end it.

Ive watched many videos on youtube for proper punching technique and was wondering if for my shadowboxing should I go slow to get form or try and go fast for speed. Also any other things I need to know? Plus after a month of this how would I compare to someone who doesnt train?

You're off to a good start for a beginner. I admire you for recognizing the lost importance of the slip bag (assuming you're not confusing it with a double end bag).

It's great for a beginner, but you're missing the following:
    - Neck exercises
    - Floor work (sit-ups, squats, etc.)
    - Mitts
    - Running (assuming you don't run)

Although it's acceptable for you to not do all of those, as after all, you are a beginner. But you will at least want to incorporate sit-ups, crunches, and oblique sit-ups so you can build your core and take body shots. You definitely want to do neck exercises as well.

For shadowboxing, start slow until you keep the proper form and then eventually go faster over time. Don't rush yourself because you'll just mess things up if you push for speed without proper form (it's harder to unlearn something and learn the right way rather than just take the time to practice the right way).

After about a month you'd be a lot more fit than someone who doesn't train. Especially if you're doing it five days a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
      You're off to a good start for a beginner. I admire you for recognizing the lost importance of the slip bag (assuming you're not confusing it with a double end bag).

It's great for a beginner, but you're missing the following:
      - Neck exercises
      - Floor work (sit-ups, squats, etc.)
      - Mitts
      - Running (assuming you don't run)

Although it's acceptable for you to not do all of those, as after all, you are a beginner. But you will at least want to incorporate sit-ups, crunches, and oblique sit-ups so you can build your core and take body shots. You definitely want to do neck exercises as well.

For shadowboxing, start slow until you keep the proper form and then eventually go faster over time. Don't rush yourself because you'll just mess things up if you push for speed without proper form (it's harder to unlearn something and learn the right way rather than just take the time to practice the right way).

After about a month you'd be a lot more fit than someone who doesn't train. Especially if you're doing it five days a week or so.
      ^^ co sign

also u should do part of your training in rounds. even a experienced amateur would struggle to go 10 straight minutes on the heavybag maintaining a proper pace and form. do 3 minute rounds with one minutes rest, like you would in a fight. some exercises like skipping and the speed bag your better of doing with no rest period though.

although i think the slipbag is a great tool, as a novice it will just create bad habits if u havent been taught how to move your head properly. and u shouldnt be working on headmovement yet anyways. u should be focusing on footwork, balance, stance, technique and other fundamentals.

the most important thing at this stage is shadowboxing, which u should be doing way more of. 10 minutes is the equivalent of 3 rounds, thats bullshit. you should be doing atleast 5 rounds, i would advice 10. shadowboxing is where you learn the fundamentals, almost everything else will be pointless unless you reached a certain level through shadowboxing first. acctually it will be worse than pointless, it will make u develope bad habits that take months to get rid of and set your skill level backwards rather than forwards. at this stage shadowbox without dumbells at all times, dumbells are for speed, you should be focusing on form.

the key to your training is a good trainer, u will need him to show you things and overlook your work. as a beginner earn your trainers attention through hard work and dedication. you have to work harder than everyone else, and not just when hes looking. run and do groundwork on your own time, study fight tapes and show up every day in the gym anxious to learn. some guys are just natural athletes but far from every top fighter was that, but they had the will to be great. show your will is stronger than everyone elses and your trainer will ackowledge you have potential and give you the attention u need to improve.

Comment

You can do rounds or 10 mins but your going to be doing diffrent things.

Like if i do something like 10 mins straight im going to be working on perfecting a transition like going from a right to left upper or from a right to a left hook. ill do things like 1-1-2-3-2-1-2 or a 1-2-3-2 or 1-1-2-3-2 or just 1-2-3 ect over and over again working that transition into random combos. just throwing the combo stopping the bag and doing another with the transition till im keeping my right foot planted, rotating my left foot, elbow at 90, guard up, forearm landing parell to the ground, right shoulder whirrling back while maintaining guard, left shoulder whirling forward with the arm, fist closing at the moment of impact and my left first returning directly to my face perfectly. mixing up the how fast and hard i throw the combos as i go, but most he time im just doing them nice and slow working for perfection.

and since your doing it slow and just throwing a combo stopping the bag throwing a combo stopping the bag throwing a combo stopping the bag ect....10 mins is just a drop in the bucket.

or you can do the 3/1/3/1/3/1 ect (rounds) where your just going to be punching the bag working stamina doing what you know how to do.

both ways to train are very important.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 09-13-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks for the answers everyone. Im not training to be a pro boxer more for the confidence of self defence as since I started working out three years ago it seems more and more jerks try and start **** with me to feel better about themselves being out of shape and I want to be able to walk away from a fight without feeling bad about it.

I do train with weights six days a week and my abs are pretty jacked working them three times a week along with squats and deadlifts twice a week along with other parts plus do HIIT sprints three times a week along with lots of tennis which has lots of start and stops.

Thanks for tips on shadowboxing. I will go slow with form and along with heavy bag go for three minute rounds.

I think I got the slip bag figured out with head tilt. Any other advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfgod View Post
            So I started boxing training last mid week and this is currently what Im doing at my gym which has a heavy, speed and slip bag in its cardio room.

10 minutes skipping rope
            10 minutes speed bag
            10 minutes slip bag
            10 minutes heavy bag

Ive watched many videos on youtube for proper punching technique and was wondering if for my shadowboxing should I go slow to get form or try and go fast for speed. Also any other things I need to know? Plus after a month of this how would I compare to someone who doesnt train?
            you seem very interested in boxing,what do think of your routine and will you add or change anything to make the needed adjustments that you seem fit for your routine

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
              you seem very interested in boxing,what do think of your routine and will you add or change anything to make the needed adjustments that you seem fit for your routine
              don't ever take advice from this fat ****.

Comment

theoretical answer

Originally posted by Surfgod View Post

10 minutes skipping rope
                10 minutes speed bag
                10 minutes slip bag
                10 minutes heavy bag

From what I can read ur program is fair start however u must have a trainer to guide u in stretching and coordinating exercises to fit ur morphology and teach u the basics in boxers positions and moves!feel free to contact me!

Comment

Working...
                X