No announcement yet.

Tony Ayala

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Ayala

If Tony Ayala had not gone to prison, how far woiuld he have gone? He undoubtably would have faced at least one or all of these fighters:

Hagler

Hearns

Duran

Leonard

Benitez

How would Ayala have performed against each of these fighters? Win or lose? It's all subjective, but there are a lot of opinions on how different Ayala's career would have been if it were not for his rape conviction.

All of them beat Ayala, though there is a good chance he could get Hearns, or Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
      All of them beat Ayala, though there is a good chance he could get Hearns, or Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
        Actually, I think Hearns would be the worst match up for him.

Comment

his criminal offense - rape - was his way of saying 'good-bye' to boxing. it was his way out. he was about to step up in class - to face duran, hagler, hearns, etc - and he didn't have the stomach for it.

Comment

I talked to my father that saw him fight in the gm, in real fights and watched many of his fights and he said that he would beat all of them. The only ones that would be a toss up fight would be Benitez and Duran.

He said that Hearns was too fragile for Ayala and that Ayala would have broken his ribs in 3 or 4 rounds. That Sugar Ray would have try to box and the fight would end up like Cotto vs Margs because it would go 15 rounds. He said Ayala would have eventually catch up to SRL and stop him late. He said Hagler was not skilled enough to beat Ayala. It would be a fight for a few rounds but Ayala would eventually take the fight over.

He said that Benitez was a pretty boxer and might beat Ayala because how smooth he was. And that Duran and Ayala would have gone all out on each other.

My father said that Ayala was a phenomenon like he had never seen before or after. That he could have been an ATG.

Comment

Leave to people that went and knew boxing in the 70's and 80's to talk about this guy.
              I know of him, but never saw him fight so thats why I asked my dad.
              Last edited by My Name Is...; 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X