Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughly what number would you rate Dick Tiger In Your ATG List?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughly what number would you rate Dick Tiger In Your ATG List?

2 time middleweight champion and lhw champion
    beat numerous hall of famers

discuss

Well i havent got a all time great list. But Dick Tiger was a great fighter.

Tiger never had nothing easy he had to work for everything he got. And come up the hard way. Fighting anyone when he could. But eventually it all come good. As he became a two Middlweight Champion and Light Heavyweight Champion. His resume is also very impressive.

Dick Tiger Resume Of Wins
    Gene Armstrong(17-0) x2
    Joey Giardello x2
    Florentino Fernandez
    Gene Fullmer x2
    Rubin Carter
    Jose Torres x2
    Nino Benvenuti

Here are threads I have done about Tiger that will give you or anyone else a much better insight on him as a fighter and person.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ght=dick+tiger

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...23/1/index.htm

Comment

Well, you said roughly & I'm just about to turn in, so I'll go.......

Tiger= roughly the 5th best LH AT

8x weight divisions divided between the top 5 of each = 40

5 bonus points for 2 weight champ = roughly no35

Sure I'll get some stick for this, but it was quick lol...

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
        2 time middleweight champion and lhw champion
        beat numerous hall of famers

discuss
        Somewhere between 80 and 100. Top 100 fighter at the lower end

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
          Well i havent got a all time great list. But Dick Tiger was a great fighter.

Tiger never had nothing easy he had to work for everything he got. And come up the hard way. Fighting anyone when he could. But eventually it all come good. As he became a two Middlweight Champion and Light Heavyweight Champion. His resume is also very impressive.

Dick Tiger Resume Of Wins
          Gene Armstrong(17-0) x2
          Joey Giardello x2
          Florentino Fernandez
          Gene Fullmer x2
          Rubin Carter
          Jose Torres x2
          Nino Benvenuti

Here are threads I have done about Tiger that will give you or anyone else a much better insight on him as a fighter and person.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ght=dick+tiger

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...23/1/index.htm
          + Terry Downes another MW champion.
          I'd have to do my list to figure out where he would figure but he was a favourite of mine so i'll get him on it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            + Terry Downes another MW champion.
            I'd have to do my list to figure out where he would figure but he was a favourite of mine so i'll get him on it for sure.
            Downes is a underrated win for Tiger but not known as one of his very best due to the fact that when Downes fought Tiger he hadn't had many fights and had only been pro for a short while. While Tiger was more experienced do Dick had not yet reached his peak.

Downes is a pretty forgotten UK fighter. He held the British and Commonwealth Middlweight Title aswell as the Middlweight Title defeating Paul Pender in 1961. He also held a win over a washed up Sugar Ray Robinson.He would also fail in his challage to lift the LHW Crown getting stopped in 11 by Willie Pastrano.

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
              Downes is a underrated win for Tiger but not known as one of his very best due to the fact that when Downes fought Tiger he hadn't had many fights and had only been pro for a short while. While Tiger was more experienced do Dick had not yet reached his peak.

Downes is a pretty forgotten UK fighter. He held the British and Commonwealth Middlweight Title aswell as the Middlweight Title defeating Paul Pender in 1961. He also held a win over a washed up Sugar Ray Robinson.He would also fail in his challage to lift the LHW Crown getting stopped in 11 by Willie Pastrano.

I loved Terry Downes not the most talented fighter but a real heart and guts fighter. Very funny man too re the Tiger fight when asked afterwards who he would like his next fight to be against he said the c.unt that got me that one.

Comment

Lol... After Pastrano, Harry Carpenter says. "What happened Terry?.. He's not known as a very hard puncher..."
                Downes replied, "Well if that's what you think Harry, then why don't you get in the ring with him?"
                Have a few signed pictures of him in my bar & one of my regulars is a good friend of his.. Rarely a day goes by without his name being mentioned.. Apparently, his social etiquette boarders on the outrageous lol...

Comment

Working...
                X