USA Tueday Night Fights Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Tueday Night Fights Fighters?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by CTE90; 04-04-2020, 01:42 PM.

The first one that comes to mind is Oba Carr. Pretty good welterweight; freaking amazing that in the 1990s a fighter that good didn't win a world title. He lost to DeLaHoya and Trinidad but gave them good fights. He beat Yori Campos. He was 100% a Tuesday Night Fights product. At one point they had a viewers poll to select his next opponent. It was decided that he should fight...Livingstone Bramble, I think, and Carr was knocked down twice and got a gift decision, but it was only his 16th fight.
    You might also look into Alex Garcia. He fought on ESPN a lot, but he was also a regular main-eventer on USA. His KO of Bernard Benton is a brutal exhibition. He started late, learning to box while in prison for 2nd degree murder, and, ultimately, his inability to take a punch let him down. He turned down $500k to fight George Foreman, saying he wasn't ready, then got kod by Mike Dixon (on USA) for much, much less.

Comment

Tuesday night fights enjoyed showing heavyweight fights so there were alot of heavyweights on. Fights and fighters like Witherspoon, Holmes comeback, Alex Garcia, Thunder, Tubbs and a variety of others frequented the U.S.A network. The show also liked airing cards from the Blue Horizon in Philly and The Palace at Auburn Hills, Mi. I watched and recorded all their shows but unfortunitely didn't keep a log of them other than the video/dvds. At the time there was also ESPN Top Rank Boxing and PrimeNetwork which mainly focused on the Forum in Inglewood. Monday through Thursday was busy with action during that era.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
        The first one that comes to mind is Oba Carr. Pretty good welterweight; freaking amazing that in the 1990s a fighter that good didn't win a world title. He lost to DeLaHoya and Trinidad but gave them good fights. He beat Yori Campos. He was 100% a Tuesday Night Fights product. At one point they had a viewers poll to select his next opponent. It was decided that he should fight...Livingstone Bramble, I think, and Carr was knocked down twice and got a gift decision, but it was only his 16th fight.
        You might also look into Alex Garcia. He fought on ESPN a lot, but he was also a regular main-eventer on USA. His KO of Bernard Benton is a brutal exhibition. He started late, learning to box while in prison for 2nd degree murder, and, ultimately, his inability to take a punch let him down. He turned down $500k to fight George Foreman, saying he wasn't ready, then got kod by Mike Dixon (on USA) for much, much less.
        True about Oba Carr. When they did that call in poll and Bramble won, someone must not liked him as an opponent and the next week the ran the poll again. Bramble won again so they went with the fight and Bramble nearly upset Carr.

The Garcia-Benton ko was so brutal the referee(Roger Yanez) was suspended indefinitely for not stopping the fight sooner. Classic moments!

Comment

Damn i used to really look forward to that show, i loved it. Charles "The Hatchet" Brewer and Bronco McKart are the first names that came to mind there were ALWAYS fighting on that show it seamed every other week

Comment

Rockin' Rodney Moore fought on there quite a bit.....and that's because he fought a ton from Philadelphia's Blue Horizon- where USA Tuesday Night Fights frequently broadcasted from-

Damn, so much better back then!

Comment

Speaking of which, does anybody else here watch Friday Night Fights on ESPN2? I like Tessitore and Teddy Atlas' commentary on there, pretty good main events usually too. I've been a fan since last summer, when I was checking listings and stumbled onto Wolak/Rodriguez 1 on that show.

Comment

One of the most depressing things about when TNFs went off the air....

What the **** is there ever to look forward to on a Tuesday night?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  One of the most depressing things about when TNFs went off the air....

What the **** is there ever to look forward to on a Tuesday night?
                  I agree, I was so unhappy with them that I boycotted USA network for a few years after that.

Comment

On a semi-related note, does anybody remember the Harold Brazier/Kevin Pompey fights on ESPN? Know where I might find video of them?

Comment

Working...
                    X