No announcement yet.

Best ever light-heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ever light-heavyweights

When The Ring magazine last rated the Greatest light-heavyweights of all time in September 2002 their list was:

1. Ezzard Charles
    2. Archie Moore
    3. Michael Spinks
    4. Tommy Loughran
    5. Bob Foster
    6. Jimmy Bivins
    7. Harold Johnson
    8. Maxie Rosenbloom
    9. Billy Conn
    10. Matthew Saad Muhammad
    11. Victor Galindez
    12. Jack Dillon
    13. Battling Levinsky
    14. Joey Maxim
    15. Dwight Muhammad Qawi
    16. John Henry Johnson
    17. Bob Fitzsimmons
    18. Gene Tunney
    19. Virgil Hill
    20. Marvin Johnson

What are your guys thoughts on this?

The 1st thing that springs to mind is that Sam Langford must surely be on this list?

Also Gene Tunney seems far too low.

And Victor Galindez seems too high.

I'm also wondering how many people would put Roy Jones Jr. on their top 20 Light-heavyweight lists?

Can't see how Bob Foster is a Top 5 LHW. Not in terms of resume, atleast.

Gene Tunney is obviously stupidly low.

Jimmy Bivins is an underrated and great fighter but he's ranked a bit too high for me.

As for Roy Jones, I would probably have him in my Top 20.

Comment

Without a shadow of a doubt Roy Jones deserves to be up there. I'd give him an excellent chance against anyone on the list.

Michael Moorer was an excellent light heavyweight.

Harry Greb deserves a shout for his fights with Gene Tunney alone.

And yes, where is Sam Langford?

If Floyd Patterson didn't decide to compete at heavyweight, just imagine how he would have done at this weight, a very possible top 5 entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
        When The Ring magazine last rated the Greatest light-heavyweights of all time in September 2002 their list was:

1. Ezzard Charles
        2. Archie Moore
        3. Michael Spinks
        4. Tommy Loughran
        5. Bob Foster
        6. Jimmy Bivins
        7. Harold Johnson
        8. Maxie Rosenbloom
        9. Billy Conn
        10. Matthew Saad Muhammad
        11. Victor Galindez
        12. Jack Dillon
        13. Battling Levinsky
        14. Joey Maxim
        15. Dwight Muhammad Qawi
        16. John Henry Johnson
        17. Bob Fitzsimmons
        18. Gene Tunney
        19. Virgil Hill
        20. Marvin Johnson

What are your guys thoughts on this?

The 1st thing that springs to mind is that Sam Langford must surely be on this list?

Also Gene Tunney seems far too low.

And Victor Galindez seems too high.

I'm also wondering how many people would put Roy Jones Jr. on their top 20 Light-heavyweight lists?
        Well it's got it's good and bad points. I think Moore, Charles and Loughran are expected to be high. I doubt if Moore could get knocked out by most, if any, on this list. ------------------------ Of all the fighters on this list who I think would come out with the most victories of them, I would pick Fitzsimmons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Without a shadow of a doubt Roy Jones deserves to be up there. I'd give him an excellent chance against anyone on the list.

Michael Moorer was an excellent light heavyweight.

And yes, where is Sam Langford?

If Floyd Patterson didn't decide to compete at heavyweight, just imagine how he would have done at this weight, a very possible top 5 entry.
          I don't think Roy would do well at all against the "Mongoose".

Comment

Totally agree Greb always gets shamefully overlooked at LHW, same story at IBRO he is ranked very low there too.
            He beat 5 men on that list and even if you follow their logic and rate Tunney low, Greb's record against their number 4 Loughran is remarkable.

Comment

Quote McGoorty "I don't think Roy would do well at all against the "Mongoose".

Why not?

In Roy Jones's prime at light heavyweight the guy was unbelievable; unorthodox, hard to catch clean, had faster hands than any light heavyweight I've ever seen, one of the best combination punchers who ever lived. He also had one punch knockout power in both hands (ask Montel Griffin or Virgil Hill). Archie would not have come across anyone quite like Roy Jones despite his many decades of experience.

Archie Moore is rightly a superb light heavyweight, an easy top five choice, but he did struggle with speed..........probably the reason why Ezzard Charles got the better of him.

Its probably a bit churlish to mention the Patterson fight too being up at heavyweight. But Floyd's handspeed was a factor.

And Roy's speed would definitely be a factor too.
              Last edited by Sugarj; 10-07-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Where in the bloody hell is Sam Langford and Harry Greb ?, Tunney is far far too low.

Comment

Quote McGoorty "I don't think Roy would do well at all against the "Mongoose".

Why not?

In Roy Jones's prime at light heavyweight the guy was unbelievable; unorthodox, hard to catch clean, had faster hands than any light heavyweight I've ever seen, one of the best combination punchers who ever lived. He also had one punch knockout power in both hands (ask Montel Griffin or Virgil Hill). Archie would not have come across anyone quite like Roy Jones despite his many decades of experience.

Archie Moore is rightly a superb light heavyweight, an easy top five choice, but he did struggle with speed..........probably the reason why Ezzard Charles got the better of him.

Its probably a bit churlish to mention the Patterson fight too being up at heavyweight. But Floyd's handspeed was a factor.

And Roy's speed would definitely be a factor too.
                  Why Not ??..... Because I hold Archie as a better fighter, more all round skills and very wily, I think he's too tough and with his accuracy and hitting power I think he nails Roy to the floor. I hope that gives you an idea if how I see it. Roy does have speed, but only a supreme chin holds out with Archie for long.

Comment

Dick Tiger? Sam Langford?

Comment

Working...
                    X