Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you get all your cardio from sparring and bag work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can X the running and be good with the cardio still. But you gotta work.

Where the running comes in is when you get nailed and you're f'd up drifting in between mental dimensions some where, with strong legs you'll weather the storm. With weak legs you'd be at the end of the count.

Having strong legs plays a huge part in how a fighters chin is rated......

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      You can X the running and be good with the cardio still. But you gotta work.

Where the running comes in is when you get nailed and you're f'd up drifting in between mental dimensions some where, with strong legs you'll weather the storm. With weak legs you'd be at the end of the count.

Having strong legs plays a huge part in how a fighters chin is rated......
      Yea I agree running is probably best.

Its easy to do the experiment, 1 fight run, another fight only do bag work. See how you feel in each fight.

Im pretty sure you and the others are right, and the tried and true long distance running will pay dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        I heard James Toney did, I heard thats all he used to do was spar/fight in preparation but Toneys style didnt involve using to much energy. I think the average fighter needs a full camp though and bags alone wont do crap because they dont punch back.
        James always worked lots of rounds, it's where he thrived. But he did his road work too.......

Comment

You don't need long runs or prolonged roadwork sessions when you're not a pro fighter. If you're at the amateur level doing hill sprints and HIIT will be sufficient for your energy needs.

Then again, roadwork is more than just the actual exercise. It's while you run where you prepare mentally, where you visualize your victory. People who have competed can tell you that roadwork is more than just mindless running.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            I dont see why running is superior to intensive sparring or bag work?

If it develops the heart and lungs to a greater degree than high work rate heavy bag work then I can see why.

But I sure as hell dont think it does. Not to mention its less sport specific.

Try jogging 3 miles.

Then try doing bag work constant punches ie throw far more than you would in a fight and do it for 12 rounds.

You will be dead from teh intensive bag work.

Youll be able to run another 3miles easy

Are you really serious in telling me the road work is better cardio? Even though the heart and lungs wernt worked as hard and the muscles wernt worked in a sport specific a way?

Why the hell is it necessary?
            Put your theory to the test, and try boxing without road work. And lets see how far you go...roadwork is for the lungs as well as for the legs. Its a tried and true method of boxing conditioning, and if just doing bag work for hours would replace roadwork more fighters would be doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
              I dont see why running is superior to intensive sparring or bag work?

If it develops the heart and lungs to a greater degree than high work rate heavy bag work then I can see why.

But I sure as hell dont think it does. Not to mention its less sport specific.

Try jogging 3 miles.

Then try doing bag work constant punches ie throw far more than you would in a fight and do it for 12 rounds.

You will be dead from teh intensive bag work.

Youll be able to run another 3miles easy

Are you really serious in telling me the road work is better cardio? Even though the heart and lungs wernt worked as hard and the muscles wernt worked in a sport specific a way?

Why the hell is it necessary?
              Ask James Toney....If you are spending an extra two hours boxing that you would spend running then yeah you will be a better of course but there needs to be balance. Toney didn't do roadwork or hit the bag.. It made him a genius in the ring but an undisciplined one who underachieved in the end which is amazing to think as a 5 weight world champion.

But you have points, the lack of bent knees during footwork and movement and then people are surprised they are tired so quickly when forced to duck and move under distress kills me. As far as I'm concerned there is standing up tall (level 1) sitting in your stance(level 2) and a crouch (level 3), your legs should be able to execute all of them going forward and backwards.

Comment

Working...
              X