No announcement yet.

Ducking, dipping, sliding lower and quicker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
    I agree however you're not getting my point.
    You agree with him?? That kid is clueless. Look at his prolific threads around here and you'll understand. Ignore anyone who tells you about dropping having anything to do with literally "dropping" your weight like a squat. Fold your knees like that as you let yourself just drop and your opponent will just bump you and knock you over, or worse. You've got to focus on lateral stability. Your speed is NOT in how fast gravity takes you down. Boxing has a lot of push/pull, a swaying in which one movement delivers energy into another. Notice, Tyson is fluid and a lot of that power is generated from the rhythm, the shifting of weight, the shoulder sway, etc. His shoulders swing and his waist bends more than his knees. When you "squat" you have no power, stability, or control. Watch the opening minute of Tyson/Bruno2. Mike gets under a lot of Frank's punches but he's bending at the waist. His knees are strong and there's minimal "squatting". Learn to use your hips.

Comment

I agree however you're not getting my point. I.e a fat james toney at cruiser still had a lot of skill but at 160 he could duck much quicker. I'm talking about the speed not the technique or awareness. Obviously part of it is to be at a lower weight (from your previous posts that I've seen I know that you're struggling with the weight issue), but there must be other exercises to speed up the movement
      Yes the exercise where you dont use any muscles, do 30 reps of that each day son, then you be in as good a shape as me
      Last edited by AlexKid; 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        You agree with him?? That kid is clueless. Look at his prolific threads around here and you'll understand. Ignore anyone who tells you about dropping having anything to do with literally "dropping" your weight like a squat. Fold your knees like that as you let yourself just drop and your opponent will just bump you and knock you over, or worse. You've got to focus on lateral stability. Your speed is NOT in how fast gravity takes you down. Boxing has a lot of push/pull, a swaying in which one movement delivers energy into another. Notice, Tyson is fluid and a lot of that power is generated from the rhythm, the shifting of weight, the shoulder sway, etc. His shoulders swing and his waist bends more than his knees. When you "squat" you have no power, stability, or control. Watch the opening minute of Tyson/Bruno2. Mike gets under a lot of Frank's punches but he's bending at the waist. His knees are strong and there's minimal "squatting". Learn to use your hips.
        To be fair I skim read his post and picked out certain things I agree with like fundamentally a lot of ducking is skill. How do u improve lateral stability?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          Yes the exercise where you dont use any muscles, do 30 reps of that each day son, then you be in as good a shape as me
          Thanks for the advice Hercules

Comment

To be fair I skim read his post and picked out certain things I agree with like fundamentally a lot of ducking is skill. How do u improve lateral stability?
            Just work and experiment with moving..I noticed after a while I was only using from my knees down even when bending...When I started working on sitting high in a stance like Ali this naturally started to come to me... Honestly that's what do...Watch the guy doing what you want to know how to do and then try copy. Rigondeaux is who you need to watch...His feet are blazing quick as well as his body movements... Watch Canelo, Toney, Juan Guzman, Whitaker...All guys who love to slip punches...Watch their legs...You said will doing squats help...well not doing them slowly no... Do everything fast your ducks , your pivots, your blocks, everything!!! You will notice the difference quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
              Just work and experiment with moving..I noticed after a while I was only using from my knees down even when bending...When I started working on sitting high in a stance like Ali this naturally started to come to me... Honestly that's what do...Watch the guy doing what you want to know how to do and then try copy. Rigondeaux is who you need to watch...His feet are blazing quick as well as his body movements... Watch Canelo, Toney, Juan Guzman, Whitaker...All guys who love to slip punches...Watch their legs...You said will doing squats help...well not doing them slowly no... Do everything fast your ducks , your pivots, your blocks, everything!!! You will notice the difference quite quickly.
              Very nice advice thank you

Comment

Working...
              X