Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanes fighters need to train other places...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanes fighters need to train other places...

I think if a japanese fighter is going to win a championship in the US they need to train with an American/Canadian team. There just isn't enough top competition in Japan for a fighter to grow past a certain level...

I agree with you but, I like the way the japanese fight. north american fighters have too much of a mechanical style.... european and japanese fighters are much more fun to watch.

So as much as I agree with you, I would rather they stay away from the boring NA fighting style.

Comment

I think the bigger problem is that Japanese fighters are generally brought over as novelties. I still support them, but Gomi and Uno are clearly passed it. There is sort of a shortage of top-class Japanese fighters right now, but historically the best Japanese fighters have fought in Japan (i.e. Aoki, Yamamoto, Sudo, Sakuraba, Gomi when he was a top fighter, hell even prime Fujita was a fairly solid fighter. The best Japanese fighters tend to stay in Japan, I think that is the bigger trend.

Comment

They sure do. Gomi had no urgency at all. He was waiting too much and he prolly wont even learn from this neither....

Comment

I'll **** on anyone who says something stupid about the Gomi fight. I swear, like a ******* type **** on you. I promise.

Gomi looked like he had butterflies. I don't think it was anything serious. First time jitters on the UFC stage. I don't think it was anything too serious. He caught Florian with a beautiful left hand and instantly, Florian wanted to go to the ground. I think now, Gomi will come back with a fire under his ass. Even after the fight, he threw his mouthpiece like he wasn't totally comfortable.

I agree with the training thing though. Yushin Okami said it first, that in Japan there isn't people good enough to train with. Recently before the Sonnen fight, Yushin was training with Randy Couture, which shows the truth behind this.

Gomi will probably train more often with AKA now though. After this fight. Florian really didn't do anything spectacular. I don't know what to call it. Florian just didn't do anything spectacular like he did with Guida, Stevenson and others, ya know? Gomi will be back.

I gotta shell out 100k worth of e-points now. I don't ever want to bet again.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            I'll **** on anyone who says something stupid about the Gomi fight. I swear, like a ******* type **** on you. I promise.

Gomi looked like he had butterflies. I don't think it was anything serious. First time jitters on the UFC stage. I don't think it was anything too serious. He caught Florian with a beautiful left hand and instantly, Florian wanted to go to the ground. I think now, Gomi will come back with a fire under his ass. Even after the fight, he threw his mouthpiece like he wasn't totally comfortable.

I agree with the training thing though. Yushin Okami said it first, that in Japan there isn't people good enough to train with. Recently before the Sonnen fight, Yushin was training with Randy Couture, which shows the truth behind this.

Gomi will probably train more often with AKA now though. After this fight. Florian really didn't do anything spectacular. I don't know what to call it. Florian just didn't do anything spectacular like he did with Guida, Stevenson and others, ya know? Gomi will be back.

I gotta shell out 100k worth of e-points now. I don't ever want to bet again.
            Kenny didnt do anything spectacular but dominate the fight and easily submit Gomi after two rounds of kickin his ass on the feet. Gomi landed one fukin punch, one, and Kenny taking Gomi down makes kenny look better cuz Gomi's the wrestler not Ken Flo.

I am a fan of Gomi and wished for the Pride Gomi to show up but I knew he was gonna lose. What I didnt kno was that he was still gonna come with that unchanged sloppy a$$ boxing, I didnt kno he was gonna eat jabs all night and I didnt think he would get THAT outclassed.

Lets face it, he's shot, and even in his prime the comp he beat wasnt as great as its made to be. First time UFC jitters is no excuse when you have fought and were one of the most popular fighters in Pride which had double the arena capacity. The excuse becomes even weaker when u relize this is Gomi's 38th fight.

Lets face it, if Gomi fights Clay Guida hes gonna look like jesus christ, if he fights Gray Maynerd, or Frankie Edgar, he gonna look bad, real bad. Lets not even entertain a rematch with Penn.

Ill always be a fan but I can live life through PRIDE colored glasses in 2010

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
              I think if a japanese fighter is going to win a championship in the US they need to train with an American/Canadian team. There just isn't enough top competition in Japan for a fighter to grow past a certain level...

I really dont think its got anything to do with that..... The Japanese fighters acquired by the UFC are past their primes or can be catagorized as 'never have beens'. The only one worth noting at the moment is Aoki at strikeforce

Comment

You can't blame Florian for that fight, Gomi was just as boring, he pulled a CroCop, someone needs to get these guys a cup of coffee or a redbull or something....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                  Kenny didnt do anything spectacular but dominate the fight and easily submit Gomi after two rounds of kickin his ass on the feet. Gomi landed one fukin punch, one, and Kenny taking Gomi down makes kenny look better cuz Gomi's the wrestler not Ken Flo.

I am a fan of Gomi and wished for the Pride Gomi to show up but I knew he was gonna lose. What I didnt kno was that he was still gonna come with that unchanged sloppy a$$ boxing, I didnt kno he was gonna eat jabs all night and I didnt think he would get THAT outclassed.

Lets face it, he's shot, and even in his prime the comp he beat wasnt as great as its made to be. First time UFC jitters is no excuse when you have fought and were one of the most popular fighters in Pride which had double the arena capacity. The excuse becomes even weaker when u relize this is Gomi's 38th fight.

Lets face it, if Gomi fights Clay Guida hes gonna look like jesus christ, if he fights Gray Maynerd, or Frankie Edgar, he gonna look bad, real bad. Lets not even entertain a rematch with Penn.

Ill always be a fan but I can live life through PRIDE colored glasses in 2010
                  This is what I've been saying for awhile now. After 2005 Gomi hasn't been in there with anyone who was dangerous, that could keep him on his toes and keep him honest. It started to show with his fight against Nick Diaz which is the last dangerous opponent he has faced and since then he's been in with soft competition and has looked pretty sloppy.

Last night it showed up even more, firstly with his mentality that he already thought that in his head that he was gonna beat Kenny was already thinking about BJ Penn, and second that he was technically outworked in the aspect of his game which he is reknowned for, not to mention dominated everywhere else.

I don't think Gomi is shot though. I think that's the easy thing to say about fighter's from PRIDE who don't perform to the level that they had previous. With guys like Wand I can understand simply because the guy has been through war after war. With Gomi, it's not the same. He ran through most if not all the guys he fought in Japan, and the fights which didn't go his way weren't wars by any stretch. I think it's a case of him not being matched up against dangerous comp for so long that he has come to rely on his power and his style that served him so well for so long that he has come to a point where he isn't going to change and any fighter that is technically sound and focused is gonna make him look like Kenny did last night.

Training with some fighter's in the USA may do him some good and I'm sure in the gym he'll be learning more things but I don't see him changing his style at all. It's like getting Randy Couture to stop utilising Greco-Roman wrestling. Sure he'll mix it up but when push comes to shove and he needs to get those rounds in the bag he'll always fall back on what he knows best.

Gomi's a legend, but the Fireball Kid's flame won't burn as brightly as it once did.

Comment

And its to no insult to Gomi or anything, ill always be a fan, no matter how terrible Cro Cop looks now, ill always be a fan.

But I do think Gomi is shot, you dont have to go through wars to be shot, hes got over 30 fights, won both pride titles at LW, is huge in his hometown, the fire isnt there anymore, on top of that, his body might not be there anymore, this is years upon years of grueling training, at some point most start to slip.

Comment

Working...
                    X